Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Pickled / Preserved Turnips

Pickled turnips add saltiness and crunch to to stir-fried and braised dishes. I keep two sizes in my pantry.


Preserved Turnips 1


The preserved turnip strips are excellent in braised pork dishes. The turnip retains its crunch and the saltiness is mellowed from a long braise.


Preserved Turnips 2


While I could certainly mince the whole pieces of turnips, they're rather tough, and it's simply easier to buy them pre-minced. Minced preserved turnips add that little bit of savoriness to stir-fried dishes. Just a tablespoon or two is enough to flavor a whole dish.


Preserved Turnips 3


My pickled turnip recipes:
Sichuan Green Beans

*****
1 year ago today, Sriracha Buffalo Wings.
2 years ago today, Cinnamon Rolls.

4 comments:

  1. I use pickled turnips in my Sichuan Green Beans! I've never seen the larger size.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another one of those ingredients that is not so well known, but can really raise the level of a dish. I use this often when braising as well as in pad Thai.

    How long have you been able to keep it after opening the package? The packages are always more than I can use, even over several meals. I know it's pickled, but even pickles eventually go bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like fresh turnips but I looooove this stuff. Mmm. It's comfort food to me. I like it in soups too, esp with that stringy lily stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaga,
    Ah, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

    Darlene,
    I didn't know you could use it in pad Thai. Will have to try it when I make it again. I've never had a package spoil on me and they've lasted for months and months. Maybe store in the freezer if you're worried about it?

    Jeannie,
    I haven't tried it in soups either. Like hot and sour soup? Will have to remember for next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!