Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, March 28, 2011

Nai Xao Xa Cuon Banh Trang (Vietnamese Sauteed Lemongrass Venison Rice Paper Rolls)

10 Thit Nai Xao Xa Cuon Banh Trang (Vietnamese Sauteed Lemongrass Venison Rice Paper Rolls) 1


I've mentioned before that when I'm home, I try not to eat out for dinner, but save it for spending time with my parents. And so after a long day of chasing waterfalls in the drizzle and a late afternoon snack of pie, we sat down to Nai Xao Xa (Vietnamese Sauteed Venison with Lemongrass) to cook at the table and to wrap with rice paper. The venison was shot by my dad. The wine was made by my mom from blackberries she picked in the hiking trails around the neighborhood.


10 Thit Nai Xao Xa Cuon Banh Trang (Vietnamese Sauteed Lemongrass Venison Rice Paper Rolls) 2


Meat sauteed at the table, a platter of mixed lettuces since most herbs aren't growing in the garden yet, a bowl of warm water for dipping the rice paper, and dipping saucers of fish sauce and stinky anchovy sauce for me.

After eating several rolls, Gourmet Pigs asked how we always got our rice paper wraps to come out so perfect. Comes from years of eating and wrapping. :)

After a little verbal coaching from me, she finally got it right.


10 Thit Nai Xao Xa Cuon Banh Trang (Vietnamese Sauteed Lemongrass Venison Rice Paper Rolls) 3


How do you eat when you're home with family?

All Oregon posts can be found with the tag Series: Oregon, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
I'm Coming Home
Bunk Sandwiches - Portland - Oregon
Horsetail Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Multnomah Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Wahkeena Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Bridal Veil Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Shepperd's Dell Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Latourell Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Crown Point Vista House (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon 
Nai Xao Xa Cuon Banh Trang (Vietnamese Sauteed Lemongrass Venison Rice Paper Rolls)

*****
1 year ago today, shaved snow at Class 302 Taiwanese Cuisine - Rowland Heights.
2 years ago today, Boeuf Bourguignon (French Beef Burgundy Stew).
3 years ago today, Chung Kiwa Korean BBQ Restaurant - Los Angeles (Koreatown) redux.
4 years ago today, a 10 lb glut of tomatoes means Balsamic Vinaigrette for salads.

3 comments:

  1. honestly? i'm capable of rolling my own rolls but it sure is fun to get my stepmother to do it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lan,
    Spoiled! But it's lovely when my mom does it for me too. :)

    GP,
    And it's documented too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!