Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda)

Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda) 1

Blame it on the indulgence of Thanksgiving feast, but the next day when I set about boiling leftover turkey bones to make broth for Bun Mang Ga Tay (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodle Soup with Bamboo Shoots and Turkey), I thought of how refreshing a glass of Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda) would be with the bowl of hot soup.

Light, fizzy, and slightly creamy, a Vietnamese egg soda is reminiscent of an Italian egg cream, although the latter doesn't even have eggs. If you balk at ingesting raw eggs though, then this drink isn't for you.

It's not a complicated recipe, just club soda, condensed milk, and an egg yolk. Pureed until fizzy and poured over ice. Perfect for a hot summer's day, or to contrast with a hot bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup.

I realized I hadn't had a soda sua hot ga since January 2009, when I ordered one at Pho Filet Vietnamese Restaurant - South El Monte, and cousin Q's older brother's new wife had never heard of such a thing before. I meant to make one at home to shoot for the blog, but you know how long it takes me to get around to anything. So better late than never.

Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda) 2

Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda)

For one serving, you'll need:
1 cup club soda
1 or 2 tblsps sweetened condensed milk
1 egg yolk
Ice

In a tall glass, add 1 cup club soda, 1 or 2 tblsps sweetened condensed milk, and 1 egg yolk.

Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda) 3

Puree until smooth. I used a hand blender, but a whisk, a pair of chopsticks, or a fork would work as well. You might need to strain the drink to remove any eggy lumps if you're using non-electronic methods though.

Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda) 4

Pour into a glass and add ice cubes.

Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda) 5

Just slightly foamy on top, fizzy, and refreshing.

Soda Sua Hot Ga (Vietnamese Condensed Milk Egg Soda) 6

Enjoy!

Other Vietnamese drink recipes:
Ca Phe Sua Da / Ca Phe Sua Nong (Vietnamese Milk Coffee Iced / Vietnamese Milk Coffee Hot)
Sinh To Bo (Vietnamese Avocado Shake)
Sinh To Ca Chua (Vietnamese Tomato Shake)
Sinh To Nha Dam (Vietnamese Aloe Vera Shake)
Sinh To Thanh Long (Vietnamese Dragon Fruit Shake)
Soda Xi Muoi (Vietnamese Preserved Plum Drink)
Tra Atiso (Vietnamese Artichoke Tea)
Tra Xa (Vietnamese Lemongrass Tea)

*****
1 year ago today, Thanksgiving leftovers afternoon tea.
2 years ago today, Japanese fusion imagawa-yaki at Fulfilled - (Beverly Hills) (Closed).
3 years ago today, tagged!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so great! I tried this at a Vietnamese restaurant and loved it. Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a new one for me -- it sounds like a much tastier protein drink than that nasty stuff that comes in powdered form!

    And thanks for your concern with roomie. She's doing a bit better and we went car shopping today. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faffy Jimpy,
    You're welcome.

    Nikki,
    I learned to add egg yolks to my orange juice in home ec class in middle school. So this just reminds me of that. Of course, I just eat steak if I want protein. :P

    Glad to hear your roommate is recovering. Accidents are so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never drank this strange milkshake.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!