Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tori No Nimono (Japanese Simmered Chicken)

Tori No Nimono (Japanese Simmered Chicken) 1

In April, I had two roast chicken carcasses that I was turning into Torigara Shoyu (Japanese Soy Sauce Chicken) Ramen. Instead of my usual Buta No Kakuni (Japanese Braised Pork), which would have necessitated a trip to the grocery store, I raided my fridge for some frozen chicken thighs. Not that you have to serve this with ramen, the slightly sweet, saucy braised chicken goes great with rice as well.

Tori No Nimono (Japanese Simmered Chicken)
Adapted from my recipe for Buta No Kakuni (Japanese Braised Pork)

For 1/2 lb chicken, you'll need,
1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs
2-inch knob grated ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tblsp sugar
1/4 cup rice wine or mirin, if you have it
2 cups water

Optional: Cotton string to tie the chicken together

Wash 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs and tie together with a cotton string. I didn't have any kitchen twine, so I cut up some cotton fabric that I had on hand. Make sure the chicken is boneless. I, umm, thought mine were but after a little simmering, realized the chicken thighs still had bones intact. That required a little unwrapping and defrosting before I could proceed with the recipe. :P

In a pot on medium low heat, add a 2-inch knob of grated ginger, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tblsp sugar, 1/4 cup mirin, and 2 cups water.

Tori No Nimono (Japanese Simmered Chicken) 2

Partially cover the pot and let the chicken simmer for about half an hour. If the sauce looks a little low, add about 1/2 cup of water so it doesn't burn, and flip the chicken.

Tori No Nimono (Japanese Simmered Chicken) 3

Another half an hour and the chicken is ready.

Tori No Nimono (Japanese Simmered Chicken) 4

Cut off the string and slice the chicken.

Tori No Nimono (Japanese Simmered Chicken) 5

Add the chicken to some homemade ramen or serve with rice.

P.S. Much thanks to Ila of I Nom Things for helping me with the translation.

Enjoy!

Similar braised chicken recipes:
Ga Kho Gung (Vietnamese Braised Chicken with Ginger)
Sanbeiji (Chinese Three-Cup Chicken)

*****
1 year ago today, Park's Barbeque - Los Angeles (Koreatown).
2 years ago today, how to make Nuoc Mau (Vietnamese Caramel Sauce).
3 years ago today, Top Island Seafood Restaurant (Dim Sum) - Alhambra.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a way to print out the wonderful recipes without printing everything???? help!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to try this, thanks for the recipe!

    I'd also like a way to format the page for easier printing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...cannot wait to try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rin,
    Thank you for trying so many of my recipes!

    Pamela,
    You can cut and paste what you need into a Word document and print that out. I did have a print-friendly option, but too many people were using that to steal my content and re-publish so I had to remove it.

    Kareno,
    See my comment above to Pamela. Unfortunately, content thieves ruin it for everyone.

    Zoey,
    I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this today and it was wonderful! I think the Japanese chefs are the best in the world. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel,
    Glad you liked it. I love Japanese food too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!