Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, November 05, 2010

Chi Ut Trai Cay - Rosemead

After brunch at Dean Sin World - Monterey Park, my dad's friend's daughter wanted to get some guavas and mini cakes to bring back to Portland.We stopped off at the Farmers' Market - Alhambra and got a few guavas, but I told her there might be a better selection at this Vietnamese fruit place I knew.


Chi Ut Trai Cay - Rosemead 1


Chi Ut Trai Cay, which translates as older female's youngest's fruit, is in the same strip mall as lap xuong (Vietnamese sausage) Quang Tran, Inc. - Rosemead. Remember in that post how I said there was a roving van that sells tropical fruit at various popular Vietnamese places in the San Gabriel Valley?

Well, they finally opened their own shop.


Chi Ut Trai Cay - Rosemead 2


They don't offer just tropical fruit. As you can see there are avocados, oranges, guavas, and cherimoyas.


Chi Ut Trai Cay - Rosemead 3


Stinky durian.


Chi Ut Trai Cay - Rosemead 4


Which sometimes is confused with jackfruit. I bought a package of already peeled jackfruit for dad's friend's daughter to bring back up to my mom. Even when the shop operated out of the van, they always managed to have the sweetest jackfruit. It's much more manageable to buy a box than the whole fruit if you don't know how to pick a ripe jackfruit.


Chi Ut Trai Cay - Rosemead 5


These aren't potatoes. They're sapote/sapodilla (Vietnamese xa po che/Peruvian lucuma/Indian chiku). The guy said these were from Florida. I've never seen fresh ones here before so I bought a few to try. They didn't taste as good as the ones in Vietnam, but fresh sapote!


Chi Ut Trai Cay - Rosemead 6


Obviously, the selection varies by what is in season, but it's worth checking out if you have a specific hankering for tropical fruit.

Other fruit shops:
Ba Tu Trai Cay Ngon - Westminster (Little Saigon)
Kim Lien Produce - Westminster (Little Saigon)
Thai Son Lo Banh Cuon - Westminster (Little Saigon)

Chi Ut Trai Cay
9014 Garvey Ave.
Rosemead, CA 91770
626-573-8170

*****
1 year ago today, Xi Muoi (Vietnamese Preserved Plums).
2 years ago today, Scandinavian goodies at IKEA - Covina.
3 years ago today, persimmons.
4 years ago today, Korean barbecue on a rock slab and kimchee fried rice at Seol Ak San - Stanton.

2 comments:

  1. LOLZ! I LOVE YOUR TRANSLATION FOR THE STORE! I would never of came up with that. Very literal!^_^. My family is an avid fan of stinky durian. I think the smell is nice at the right season but once you let it get too old, it really gets stinky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairy Water,
    Haha. Well, I didn't know how else to translate it except literally. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!