Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving 1

Happy Thanksgiving!

With all the talk about how the Salt Rub and Butter Turkey is my steady Thanksgiving brine, I figured I should have some updated photos to show you.

Here's the turkey after it's been cooking breast-side down for an hour.

Happy Thanksgiving 2

Flipped and cooked for about three more hours, breast side up.

Happy Thanksgiving 3

Look away now if you're offended by food that can look a little, ahem, provocative.

Look away!

It was inadvertent, I tell you!

I just shoved the neck and giblets into the turkey's cavity so they wouldn't burn while cooking.

Then took pictures of my roasted turkey.

It didn't even occur to me that the neck sticking out of the cavity would look like...

...well, like...

...THIS!

Happy Thanksgiving 4

I'm sorry. Now that I'm aware of how turkeys can be so provocative, I'll just have to be a little more cognizant when I take pictures of poultry in the future.

Happy Thanksgiving 5

There, the turkey is all cut up. Isn't that better for your sensibilities?

Happy Thanksgiving 6

My youngest uncle's wife always makes the prettiest salads.

Happy Thanksgiving 7

The second of two Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon casseroles that I made.

Happy Thanksgiving 8

I went a little more adventurous with Turkey Liver Pate and added Bacon and Capers.

Happy Thanksgiving 9

Too many carbs on the table, and since celery is on sale to be added to stuffing, I made Sichuan Celery Salad.

Happy Thanksgiving 10

I've made Ca Ri Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Curry) Pot Pie in past years, so what do you think I did this year?

Happy Thanksgiving 11

Bo Kho (Vietnamese Beef Stew) Pot Pie! Don't know why it didn't occur to me until now!

Happy Thanksgiving 12

My plate.

Happy Thanksgiving 13

For dessert, lil' sis made these adorable mini pecan and pumpkin pies.

Happy Thanksgiving 14

New recipe posts served this Thanksgiving:
Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
Bo Kho (Vietnamese Beef Stew) Pot Pie
Turkey Liver Pate with Bacon and Capers

And the leftover turkey recipes:
Bun Mang Ga Tay (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodle Soup with Bamboo Shoots and Turkey)
Chao Ga Tay (Vietnamese Rice Porridge with Turkey)
Mi Ga Tay Tiem (Vietnamese Egg Noodle Soup with Chinese 5-Spice Turkey)

By the way, this is my 1,500th post!

*****
1 year ago today, Rosemary Olive Oil Turkey Marinade.
2 years ago today, Lasagna with Meat Sauce.
3 years ago today, jungle red hibiscus flowers.
4 years ago today, little red houses and apple trees.

5 comments:

  1. OMG, the pot pie bo kho is an amazing idea - I am so doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving....a few days early WC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking spread! My mom uses a large covered roaster so she doesn't turn the turkey. And she believes in sending everyone home with heaps of left-overs ;-)

    And happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok literally my stomach is growling. What a fantastic looking Thanksgiving put together. I've always tried to get my family to try new things but its the same plate every year lol. I'll keep trying. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonathan,
    I know! I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before!

    Kirk,
    Haha. Actually, two years late. This is 2010 Thanksgiving. :P

    Nikki,
    Does the covered roaster get the skin crispy? I always wonder about that?

    Jessica,
    I always have to do the staples: mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and then I toss in a few new dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!