Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Vintage Napkin Holder from Tongue in Cheek

Last month, Corey of Tongue in Cheek, held a guessing game on her blog. For several years, I've enjoyed reading stories about her family in California and France, and looking at her gorgeous photos. I can't describe just how lovely her blog truly is so you'll just have to visit for yourself. Thus, I was very excited to check my mailbox and see a package from France. Inside was a vintage handmade embroidered napkin holder. Oooh.


Vintage Napkin Holder from Tongue in Cheek

Her note said it dates around the 1900s and was used to hold napkins between meals, and often for one week. Back then, napkins weren't washed after each meal. Eek!



She says she hopes I will use it for something sweet. I'm hoping to perhaps incorporate it into a quilt? It's much too pretty to use as a napkin holder.

Thank you again for such a lovely gift, Corey!

*****
1 year ago today, two soups for dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks so nice! the design and curves look very pulchritudinous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is lovely, how nice of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful gift. I have never seen one before. It does make sense that they would use something pretty to cover the nasty used napkins!

    I hope you show us what you decide to do with it.

    Have you been quilting much lately?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ETE,
    Haha. That's an SAT word, but yes, very pretty.

    Rita,
    I've received so many wonderful gifts from bloggers, it's simply amazing.

    Zoey,
    I haven't been quilting. :( I love the story behind the napkin holder. I had no idea such things existed. Must think of a nice way to incorporate it into my quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!