Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, January 16, 2009

Apple Butter from Open Mouth, Insert Fork

Apple Butter from Open Mouth, Insert Fork

I few months ago, I won a pint of apple butter from Susan of Open Mouth, Insert Fork. I was so excited because the apple butter has been made by the Allen family in Sardis, West Virginia for more than 150 years. Every fall, over the course of three days, they make 150 pints of apple butter in the same copper cauldron that's been in the family for seven generations. Now that's tradition!



As for the apple butter? It reminded me of a batch of Pumpkin Butter I made recently. So much better than the store-bought stuff. It was slightly sweet, redolent with spices, and perfect spread on toast for afternoon tea.

Thanks again Susan!

*****
1 year ago today, best of 2007 recipes from ca phe sua da (Vietnamese iced milk coffee) to Cuban lemon roast chicken.
2 years ago today, I was in awe of the pizza tossing at Lanesplitter Pizza and Pub - Berkeley.

4 comments:

  1. Hey WC.. long time me-no-leave-comment! I had to let you know that I was just talking about apple butter with my hubby yesterday. I was watching a commercial for Smuckers on TV and noticed that there is no such thing as apple jam. My hubby told me that instead, there is apple butter. I think I'm going to grab a jar to see if I dig it. :) It's a weird coincidence how I was thinking about apple butter and you go and make a post about it! Great minds right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaded,
    Yeah lady! Where've you been? This apple butter was so much better than store-bought. I ate a store-bought one once that was way too sweet and thick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice treat! :) Any ideas for other use besides as a spread? I wonder if it would be a waste to use it in baking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannie,
    Cinnamon apple rolls with apple butter filling in between layers? Although, I've been enjoying it spread on plain bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!