Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, January 12, 2009

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti)

I first heard of cherry clafoutis several years ago when Amy of Nook and Pantry made one with Bing cherries and almond extract. Later Wok and Spoon made a dairy-free version with soy cream. By the time Dhanggit's Kitchen made hers, I knew it was time to finally try making a clafouti myself.

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 1

The opportunity finally came last spring when I bought a batch of cherries that weren't particularly sweet. Rather than make another batch of Cherry Cinnamon Jam, I decided to bake them into a clafouti.

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 2

A clafouti is a custard-like dessert. Traditionally the cherries are not pitted. Supposedly the pit holds in more heat and creates more flavor. However, as I'm not in the habit of spitting out pits when I eat, I pitted my cherries. I leave that option up to you. I liked Wok and Spoon's idea of making it dairy-free and used regular soy milk instead of cream. I really liked Dhanggit's idea of sprinkling sugar on top for a light caramelization so I did that too.

I made a big clafouti that could be sliced, and one small ramekin just to see which I liked better. I think I liked the small ramekin because it's just cuter, but also the clafouti rose more and appeared more souffle-like. Taste-wise, it was quite custardy.

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 3

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti)
Adapted from Nook and Pantry, Wok and Spoon, and Dhanggit's Kitchen.

For 6 to 8 servings, you'll need:
1 cup soy milk
1/2 stick (4 tblsp) butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup flour
2 cups cherries

Optional: Additional sugar on top for caramelization or powdered sugar for serving.

Pre-heat oven 350 degrees.

Pit 2 cups of cherries.

Liberally butter an 8-inch pie pan.

Melt 1/2 stick butter. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 4 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp almond extract, and a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly. Add 1/2 cup flour. Mix again. Add 1 cup soy milk. Mix again. Pour into pan. Add cherries on top. I figure the cherries are going to sink anyway, but I wanted some buoyant ones to show on top for color.

Bake for about 30 minutes until toothpick inserted into center is clean. If you wish, sprinkle sugar on top so it caramelizes while baking.

See the lovely sugar crust?

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 4

The big clafouti.

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 5

Slice for serving.

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 6

The clafouti in the ramekin rose up like a souffle.

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 7

Then deflated. :(

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 8

It was still tasty though!

Clafoutis aux Cerises (French Cherry Clafouti) 9

Enjoy!

Who else made cherry clafoutis?
Amy of Nook and Pantry used Bing cherries and almond extract.
Wok and Spoon used soy cream with good results.
Dhanggit's Kitchen gave me the idea to sprinkle sugar on top.

I'm submitting this recipe to Regional Recipes, a food blogging event created by Darlene of Blazing Hot Wok, in which a different culture and cuisine is explored each month. Please read the Regional Recipe rules to see if you'd like to participate. Susan of Open Mouth, Insert Fork is this month's host and we're spotlighting France.

Since we're celebrating France this month, my other French recipes:
Buckwheat Crepes
Coq Au Vin (French Chicken with Wine)
Gratin with Purple Cauliflower, Fennel, and Leeks
Pate (Faux Gras with Chicken Livers)
Roasted Artichokes with Chili Aioli
Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary and Duck Fat

*****
1 year ago today, Ggakdugi Kimchee (Korean Pickled Radish).
2 years ago today, a virtual tour of the floating market, stilt houses, and fruit trees in the Mekong Delta - Vietnam.

1.25

10 comments:

  1. Yummy yumm delicious.
    I remember seeing this in her place too.
    Here we still have to wait for the cherry season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cherries, good idea to have it pitted in this dessert. Your clafouti looks heavenly!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a suck for custard-y desserts and I love cherries. I agree with you about the pits. That would be annoying to leave them in, I think. And I love the burnished sugar on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking dish Dub C! But I've always wondered how to pronounce clafoutis. Is it clah-foo-tee? Clah-fow-tee? I suck at french.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love cherries as they are...and since they're very expensive here...i have always been afraid that i was gonna ruin them by putting them in my inexperienced hands.

    i've always wanted this Clafoutis since i first saw it, but haven't developed the guts to try. maybe soon eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of a clafoutis before, so I learned something new today! The small ramekin clafoutis looks more sweet and brown on top and has more bumps looks very rustic and yummy. I wonder how the small one got so poufy but then deflated. It's always sad to see something get deflated, but it always still tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think this would work with frozen cherries?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Cook,
    It's not quite cherry season here either. This photo was just sitting around in my queue. :)

    Wiffy,
    Thanks! I had to pit them. I can't imagine spitting out the seeds while eating this.

    Darlene,
    Ah, burnished sugar. Sounds much better than caramelized sugar, which I don't think they really did.

    Marvin,
    Haha. I'm the last person to ask about French pronunciations.

    MCR,
    You can make a clafoutis out of other fruits. Perhaps experiment with a cheaper fruit first? I like Bing cherries best. They're a darker red. These didn't taste as good.

    ETE,
    I liked the smaller ramekins too.

    Pam,
    I don't see why not. The only difference will be that the cherries aren't as firm. Perhaps try with the jarred cherries in syrup? they seem to hold their shape more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WC, thank you for posting this beautiful clafoutis recipe. I actually first discovered this pastry at Trader Joe's! You should check it out if you are craving the treat without the work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. JZ Cakes,
    I have tried the Trader Joe's version! It's not half-bad. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!