Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary and Duck Fat

Remember I said to save the duck fat from the fessenjan (Persian walnut pomegranate glaze with roast duck)? A while back I had read an article in the LA Times about duck fat roasted potatoes. While I normally roast potatoes in olive oil, this seemed a good a time as any to give duck fat a try. I like the sacks of purple, red, and white potatoes from Trader Joe's for $1.69 because they're cheap and the different potatoes give a slight variation in flavor. Plus, I like playing around with color when I'm cooking. :)
Roast Potatoes with Duck Fat 1
Add a few snips of rosemary from my garden.
Roast Potatoes with Duck Fat 2
And voila!
Roast Potatoes with Duck Fat 3
Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary and Duck Fat You'll need: Duck fat, a few tblsps Potatoes, however many and of whatever variety you wish, quartered However many sprigs of rosemary you wish, fresh if you have it, dried if you don't Salt Freshly ground black pepper Wash and chunk potatoes. While they're draining in a colander, generously salt the potatoes and shake the colander to evenly distribute the salt. Dump into an oven-safe pan. Pour leftover duck fat on top of the potatoes. Grind black peppercorns. Add rosemary sprigs. Set in oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, remember to stir the pan every 15 minutes so that the potatoes are evenly browned and the duck fat coats all the potatoes. The duck fat added a slight "meatiness," if you will, to the taste of the potatoes. UnHipLA, who stayed and had a second helping of fessenjan, was so enamored with the duck that she brought over another sack of potatoes so I could roast them in the fat for her. Enjoy! Who else made duck fat roasted potatoes? Amy of Nook & Pantry made thyme and duck fat roasted potatoes. Evidently, duck fat is lower in fat than butter! ***** 1 year ago today, the first dragonfruits from my garden.

12 comments:

  1. Mmm..must get some duck fat and try this dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. duck fat potatoes have an interesting, wild flavor, made me feel like i had just come in from a good day of hunting. and now i learn that duck fat is lower in fat than butter?! brava! i have fond memories of these potatoes. duck is phat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I roasted 4 ducks last year for dinners and parties, leaving me with a lot of duck fat for use in roasting vegies. I love roasting baby potatoes in them. And recently, I read an article on a website where the recipe called for baking a potato, scooping out the innards, drizzle with a lot of duck fat and roasted garlic, return the concoction back to the potato shell, then toast till brown. I haven't tried it but my mental salivary glands are on overdrive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm... duck fat... yummm. :D Those purple potatoes look awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out for them at TJs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duck fat is just excellent! Are you thinking of making confit? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your Dragon fruit!!..Tell me how to plant is so sucessful in your garden.Where can I get the plant??.Everything I plant die on me..so hopeless but I love to have fruit in my garden.oh!! I never see any purplish potato,I only see sweet potato purplish...cool dish

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is interesting... the flavors from the fat to the potatoes must be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm - like they say fat is flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope. I did not cook this dish though I've eaten duck recently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. EMWK,
    Yes, do! :)

    Hippity,
    I said it was lower in fat, I thought that's why you ate so much. ;)

    Mtan,
    Wow! 4 ducks! You're awesome!

    Amy,
    I'm surprised you haven't come across the purple potatoes before, I see them all the time.

    Anh,
    I've never tried making confit. I'll have to keep it in mind for next time.

    Beachlover,
    I've seen dragonfruit sold in farmers' markets and Asian grocery stores. I've heard the trick is to bury lots of shrimp shells underneath.

    Daphne,
    The duck fat is actually quite light in flavor.

    Kirk,
    Yes, indeed.

    Tigerfish,
    We've been eating other common things, I just haven't been posting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The tri-colored potatoes make any salad look so pretty. Now...to get my hands on some duck fat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!