Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pickled Grapes

Since I was on a pickle tangent with Do Chua (Vietnamese Pickled Stuff ie. Carrots and Daikon) and Rau Muong Chua (Vietnamese Pickled Water Spinach), I had also experimented with sweet pickles a few months back. After Molly of Orangette mentioned serving pickled grapes at her wedding reception, I was immediately intrigued.
Pickled Grapes
Pickled Grapes Adapted from Orangette For one 24-oz jar, you'll need: 1 bunch of large red or purple grapes, seedless 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup water 1 tblsp sugar 1/2 tsp salt 1 cinnamon stick You can trim off a bit of the grape near the stem so it can absorb more vinegar if you wish. Place cinnamon stick inside jar. Wash grapes and place them inside jar. In a pan, heat 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1 tblsp sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt. When the water boils, pour into jar. If there's still space on top of the jar, add water until the grapes are completely covered. Tighten lid immediately. You should hear a "pop," indicating the jar is sealed. The pickles should be ready to eat the next day. The grapes will still be crisp with a salty, sweet, sour taste. Eat within a week as the grapes will become too soft and too sour. Enjoy! My other pickle recipes: Baechu Kimchee (Napa Cabbage Kimchee) Bok Choy Kimchee (Korean Pickled Bok Choy) Do Chua (Vietnamese Pickled Stuff ie. Carrots and Daikon) Gaennip/Kaennip Kimchee (Korean Pickled Sesame/Shiso/Perilla Leaves) Ggakdugi Kimchee (Korean Pickled Radish/Daikon) Rau Muong Chua (Vietnamese Pickled Water Spinach) ***** 1 year ago today, Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup).

4 comments:

  1. I do a similar version, but I swap the water for OJ and add the additional spice of all spice berries and cloves. They are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something magical that I love about these. I don't know quite what it is, but it's making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never had pickled grapes before. but from the picture they look really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husband,
    Those sound great. I'll have to keep that in mind if I make these again.

    gkbloodsugar,
    Thanks. I think the thought of pickled grapes makes your mouth pucker and salivate at once.

    ladonisbleu,
    I wouldn't eat them every day, but they're a nice contrast from ordinary cucumber pickles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!