Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Vietnam Restaurant (Bo 7 Mon (7 Courses of Beef)) - San Gabriel

After lunch at Old Town Mexican Cafe and Cantina - San Diego, I definitely needed a nap. By the time I got home, I was starving for some comfort food. Luckily, cousin Q's older brother and his wife were starving too. When I mentioned seven courses of beef at Vietnam Restaurant, that clinched it.

But the photos from this post aren't from my dinner with them. My cousin wanted to get three orders for the four of us. I said one order was enough to feed two people. It's because the bo 7 mon (Vietnamese 7 courses of beef) was $13.95. He said the same meal costs around $20 in NorCal. That night we only managed to finish one order.


Vietnam Vietnamese Restaurant (Bo 7 Mon (7 Courses of Beef)) - San Gabriel 1


Since the restaurant looks like a converted house, we were seated on the side area. Vietnam Restaurant, although the business card and menu say Vietnam Vietnamese Restaurant, which seems a bit redundant to me, is owned by Michael, who used to own Vietnam House Restaurant. After he and his wife left, the quality of Vietnam House tipped slightly downward. His nephew owns Golden Deli Vietnamese Restaurant. His sister owns Saigon Flavor. I haven't tried Saigon Flavor yet, and you know I think Golden Deli is good, but not worth the hype. My favorite out of all of them is Vietnam Restaurant. The prices and menus are similar. (Only Vietnam and Vietnam House feature 7 courses of beef.) But the flavors and presentation appear to be a bit "brighter" here.

My first bo 7 mon here was last summer with WC reader Hong P. of Secret Garden Studios. It's a small world when you're Vietnamese. Turns out, he used to attend church in Michigan with my friend E(L), who also coincidentally turned out to know three other friends of mine. Definitely check out his web site if you like x-ray images of flowers, part of the proceeds of his pictures benefits an orphanage in Vietnam.

Anyway, I had eaten here before for other dishes, which I'll get to in a separate post. It had been a while since either of us had eaten bo bay mon, so he suggested we order it for the blog. He also insisted on paying for lunch too. Thanks again! Don't I have the best readers?

First course is the Bo Nhung Dam (Vietnamese Beef Dipped in Vinegar). Starting from the top and going clockwise: raw beef slices, vinegared broth, banh trang (Vietnamese rice paper), dia rau (Vietnamese herb platter), sliced green bananas, cucumbers, and Do Chua (Vietnamese Pickled Stuff ie. Carrots and Daikon), and in the center is Mam Nem (Vietnamese Fermented Anchovy Sauce).


Vietnam Vietnamese Restaurant (Bo 7 Mon (7 Courses of Beef)) - San Gabriel 2

Here's a close up of the sliced green bananas, peel and all. It can be a bit astringent if you're not used to it.


Vietnam Vietnamese Restaurant (Bo 7 Mon (7 Courses of Beef)) - San Gabriel 3

Place the slices of beef in the vinegared broth to cook.


Vietnam Vietnamese Restaurant (Bo 7 Mon (7 Courses of Beef)) - San Gabriel 4

Then quickly dip the rice paper into the bowl of water to soften, add greens or pickles and beef on top, wrap everything into a roll, and dip into the sauce. I've shown you how to do this before. You've got the hang of it by now? Yes?

Courses 2, 3, 4, 5 all came out at once. Underneath the pile of banh phong tom (Vietnamese shrimp chips), you'll see...


Vietnam Vietnamese Restaurant (Bo 7 Mon (7 Courses of Beef)) - San Gabriel 5

...Bo Nuong La Lot (Vietnamese Grilled Beef with Wild Betel Leaves), bo mo chai (Vietnamese grilled beef steak), bo sa te (Vietnamese beef with sate sauce), and bo cha dum (Vietnamese baked beef meatball). My favorite is always the bo la lot for that aromatic flavor. The meatball is my least favorite item. Just not much flavor to it. The other two are good, but infinitely better once everything is wrapped up with herbs and rice paper.


Vietnam Vietnamese Restaurant (Bo 7 Mon (7 Courses of Beef)) - San Gabriel 6

Courses 6 and 7 were bo salat (Vietnamese beef salad) and chao bo (Vietnamese beef rice porridge). The chao had thin strips of ginger and was mixed with alphabet noodles. Just a light way to end the meal.


Vietnam Vietnamese Restaurant (Bo 7 Mon (7 Courses of Beef)) - San Gabriel 7

So there you go, that's one order of 7 courses of beef. Plenty to feed two people. Especially if you wrap everything in herbs and rice paper. I suggest also ordering a plate of Cha Gio Vietnamese Egg Rolls). On this occasion, we also ordered a side of Chao Tom (Vietnamese Grilled Shrimp Paste).

For the restaurant's other dishes, see my post Vietnam Restaurant - San Gabriel.

Who else ate the 7 courses of beef at Vietnam Restaurant?
Aaron of Food Destination recounts his first experience with some of the unfamiliar ingredients.

Also on Main St/Las Tunas Dr.:
Aji Man Japanese Restaurant - San Gabriel
Golden Deli Vietnamese Restaurant - San Gabriel
Luscious Dumplings Inc. - San Gabriel
Pho Super Bowl Vietnamese Cuisine - Alhambra
Vietnam House Restaurant - San Gabriel
Vietnam Restaurant - San Gabriel

Vietnam Restaurant
340 W. Las Tunas Dr.
San Gabriel, CA 91776
626-281-5577
Monday to Wednesday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Closed Thursdays
Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.

*****
1 year ago today, Thai green curry with Thai eggplants.
2 years ago today, Top Baguette - Westminster (Little Saigon).

6 comments:

  1. Glad you're able to salvage those photos! And thanks for the plug of my website!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of meat! Three orders worth? Considering that you have to slice the meat in smaller portions, I could not see how you can eat all of it, let alone finishing one. For four people, that is a lot of food.

    BTW, I love that video you posted up on Youtube. I actually saw that video earlier last year. Didn't put two and two together to realize it was you. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, thanks for the instructional entry. It would've helped my visit. However, I did get to talk to Michael a bit while he showed me how to wrap my rice paper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally drooling. I love 7 course of beef. There is a great place in OC called Pagolac that me and my parents have been going to since I was little. Best Bo 7 Mon you'll ever eat. Hands down. If you are ever in OC, definitely give it a try! Since I am a gracious person, I'll even come with you. ;)
    /Clara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like a terrible Vietnamese... I've never tried this. Maybe next time I'm in Cali...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hong,
    It's a good cause, and the least I could do considering you paid for lunch. :)

    Pepsi Monster,
    It is a lot, that's why we only managed to finish one order that night. Can't believe you saw my video. Haha.

    Aaron,
    I can't believe you ate a whole order by yourself!

    Clara,
    It's been years since I've eaten at Pagolac. Can't wait to meet you and go again!

    Miss.Adventure,
    You've never had bo 7 mon? Hmm. Is it a VNese-Am thing?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!