Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Top Baguette - Westminster

Top Baguette is tops in my book for banh mi (bread) Ba Le (Paris)-style sub sandwiches. Here, I'll let the picture do the talking. This is the dac biet (special) - thick slices of barbecued pork, shredded pork skin, meatballs, pate, cilantro, jalapenos, cucumbers, pickled carrots and daikon, Vietnamese mayonnaise, stuffed inside a crispy Vietnamese-French bread. Here, I'll zoom out so you can get the full effect.
Sorry, I was too busy eating to measure how long it was. What makes Top Baguette so darned good? Look at how much filling is stuffed into the sandwich. The meatballs are so plentiful and juicy that their juice seeped into the bread, flavoring the sandwich even more. Also, they use Vietnamese-French bread, which is less dense on the inside, airy, with a distinct butter taste. The dent to my wallet? $2.25.
My usual favorite sandwich shop that offers this same flavor and texture of bread is Banh Mi and Che Cali, but their's is a little smaller and the fillings a little less. But for overall value, no place beats Banh Mi and Che Cali's 3 sandwiches for $3.50 deal. And their che at 3 for $2 isn't anything to sniff at either.
Most places these days offer the French baguette sandwich, the longer, denser, harder, chewier version. But if you prefer Vietnamese-French banh mi like I do, Top Baguette is tops.
Top Baguette offers the usual sandwich variations, drinks, and a small selection of to-go food. They're located in a strip mall on the far right side of Le Croissant Dore and Hanoi Restaurant. Other Vietnamese sandwich shops: Banh Mi & Che CALI Bakery - Westminster (Little Saigon) Banh Mi & Che Cali Restaurant - Alhambra Thanh Tam Bakery - Garden Grove (Little Saigon) Tip Top Sandwiches - Garden Grove (Little Saigon)
Top Baguette
9062 Bolsa Ave.
Westminster, CA 92683
714-379-7726

4 comments:

  1. Top Baguette is good, but I heart Bahn Mi Che Cali. I go to the really ghetto one on Bolsa and Magnolia.

    - Chubbypanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CP,

    I go there too! Wasn't my love for Banh Mi and Che Cali obvious enough? Especially their price tag? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The BBQ pork looks so much like char siew (cantonese version of BBQ pork).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tigerfish,
    The bbqed pork is char siu. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!