Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Kirala - Berkeley

Can you believe all my previous posts for the last week were only from one weekend? Anyway, I'm done with all the eating I did for last weekend, but had a few photos left over from a trip back in October and since I'm already on a San Francisco Bay Area thread...

This is sushi from Kirala in Berkeley. Looks pretty eh? I'm really bad though at identifying sushi and all I can recognize now is the salmon and some kind of eel roll and perhaps spicy tuna.

A long, long time ago when I lived in the East Bay, Kirala was my local sushi haunt. I have fond memories of many meals here, and still regard it highly, for the nostalgia factor if nothing else.

I just Googled it and lo and behold, on its website, Kirala describes itself as an excellent neighborhood restaurant. It does serve very good sushi, as well as robata and udon. It's not cheap, but what you'd expect from a solid sushi bar. Nigiri sushi is about $7 for two pieces, robata skewers about $4 and up, entrees $15 or so.

It's a small space, tables very close together, lively crowd at the sake bar. There's always a wait, even if you show up right when the restaurant opens. But it definitely has the feel of a neighborhood sushi bar, where patrons know the waiters and sushi chefs, where customers have so much fun chatting with each other at the sake bar, they decline going to their table just then. So sometimes you get their table and the wait isn't so bad after all.

2100 Ward St.
Berkeley, CA 97405
510-549-3486

5 comments:

  1. Hi WC - I for one love those neighborhood sushi restaurants, where you can develop a relationship with the staff, and simply walk in and say "Omakse Shimasu"......and they'll know exactly what your preferences are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my local joint, Yoshida in San Marino, loads their sushi up with tons of fish for regular patrons...not a bad perk :p

    henry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kirk,
    You're the master. I've never developed that good of a relationship with any sushi chef.

    Henry,
    Hmm. I'll have to try Yoshida. Is it pricey though? I love my sushi but I can't always afford it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... Sushi...

    Have you noticed that sushi is a lot more expensive in NorCal? Holdover from the dot-com boom, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CP,
    I think everything is more expensive in NorCal. That's why I couldn't afford to stay up there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!