Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Le Cupcake - Santa Monica (Closed)

"I have a surprise for you!" Lil' sis text messaged me.

The next morning on the kitchen counter, I find a large brown paper shopping bag with this sticker on it.

Oooh.

Beside it was this gaily wrapped box.


Inside?

My brother got to my surprise first! Hmph!

Velvet Rouge, a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting. The menu said "with a hint of cocoa." It must've been a really subtle hint because I couldn't taste the cocoa. But the cupcake was moist and not too sweet, balanced by the sweetness in the cream cheese frosting.

Clockwise, Banana Bonbon, banana cupcake with chocolate frosting. Mmm.

Tour De Carotte, carrotcake with cream cheese frosting. The carrotcake was studded with walnuts and raisins, just the way I like 'em!

Chai Latte, lightly spiced vanilla cake with chai tea infused buttercream frosting.


The cupcakes were just sweet enough without being overpowering. The frostings were a perfect foil for the flavor of each cake, and sweeter but not toothache sweet.

Other flavors on the menu included Van Gogh Vanilla, vanilla cupcake with vanilla-almond frosting; Chocolat, sour cream chocolate cupcake; Parisian Peanut Butter, chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting; and La Coconut, vanilla or chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting dipped in coconut.

A regular-sized cupcake, which is slightly smaller than the standard muffin-tin, is $2.75. Mini size is $1.50.

Le Cupcake began in 2003 in the Washington, D.C. area by Robyn Savage who delivered them door-to-door -- the White House, the Justice Department, and a Senator's Office doors that is. Le Cupcake opened inside the Santa Monica Place Mall last fall.

Are we cupcaked out?

Is there room for yet another cupcake shop in SoCal?

Dunno, but there's always room in my belly for carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Lots of room.

I got my brother back for eating that first piece of red velvet.

That's right, I ate all of the carrotcake.

Le Cupcake
Santa Monica Place Mall
3 Santa Monica Pl.
Santa Monica, CA 90401
310-917-2253

7 comments:

  1. cupcakes look good. i love cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I will pick the banana cupcake with choc. frosting first, coz that's the only one with....chocolate! Then I will eat carrot cake with cream cheese. I've never had cupcakes here before....Ooohhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Budding Cook,
    Me too!

    Hi Tigerfish,
    You've never had cupcakes? They're just so lovely and dainty. I hope you get a chance to try them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like walnuts and raisins in your carrot cake, try Auntie Em's in Eagle Rock (Los Angeles). They make two sizes of cupcakes - regular (which are pretty huge) and mini (almost bite-sized). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Another to add to my already extensive "restaurants to try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow another cupcake place. I am all for discovering new stores that carry cupcakes. well.. point of comparison LOL yeah right I just love cupcakes! no other excuses

    I love how they call their cupcakes. hmm red velvet and the banana looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raissa,
    The red velvet was good! So was the carrot cake. And so was the banana. Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!