Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Chinese Steamed Oysters with Black Bean and Scallion Sauce

Steamed Oysters with Black Bean Sauce 1


When lil' sis's best friend and I were trying to decide on the menu for lil' sis's 21st birthday bash, he requested Chinese steamed oysters with black bean sauce. Done! Simply because this recipe is so quick and easy.



According to Wikipedia, Chinese black bean sauce is "made by fermenting and salting soy beans. The process turns the beans black, soft, and mostly dry. The flavor is sharp, pungent, and spicy in smell, with a taste that is salty and somewhat bitter and sweet."

It's incredibly salty so a little bit goes a long way. If you don't have black bean sauce, you can substitute with oyster or hoisin sauces, just make sure to taste and adjust if necessary. This recipe makes quite a bit so save the extra sauce for stir-fries or to drizzle over steamed vegetables.

I poured off the oyster juices to keep this from being too messy. I know! All that sweet juice! Such a travesty. You can certainly keep the juices in the shell and pour the sauce over the oysters if you wish.


Steamed Oysters with Black Bean Sauce 2


Chinese Steamed Oysters with Black Bean and Scallion Sauce

For about 2 dozen oysters, you'll need:
2 dozen oysters, lightly steamed
2 tsp black bean sauce
1 cup water
1 tblsp corn starch
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 tblsp soy sauce

Lightly steam the oysters for about 10 minutes or just until they open their shells. Split them apart and arrange on a plate. Oyster plates are so pricey, so I used my egg plate, with its oval indentations to hold the oysters.

While you're waiting for the water to boil and for the oysters to steam, you can quickly make the sauce.

Thinly slice one scallion and set aside. Dissolve 1 tblsp corn starch into 1 cup cold water and set aside.

In a small saucepan on medium heat, lightly saute the scallion until softened. Add 2 tsp of black bean sauce and 1 tblsp of soy sauce. Then add the cup of water with the cornstarch. Stir until evenly mixed and the sauce is thickened enough to your liking. This should only take a few minutes.

Drizzle the sauce over steamed oysters.


Steamed Oysters with Black Bean Sauce 3


Enjoy!

I'm submitting this recipe to Weekend Herb Blogging, a world-wide food blogging event created by Kalyn's Kitchen celebrating herbs, vegetables, or flowers.

If you would like to participate, see who's hosting next week. WHB is hosted this week by Pam of Sidewalk Shoes.


*****
1 year ago today, fish, scallop, and potato tacos at Senor Fish - Alhambra.

6 comments:

  1. Simple and delicious at the same time, two of my favourite words together. Now, I'm craving for some oysters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those oysters look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just dropping in to tell you that I'll never read your blog when I'm hungry again. Man it's killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating Club,
    Oysters! I had the best kumamotos at Whistler years ago.

    Mike,
    Thanks! You wanted the recipe. ;)

    N,
    Haha. What's worse is if you've eaten and I make you want to eat even more! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm realizing I've eaten oysters, but not steamed oysters. Sounds healthy and I bet they're delicious with the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kalyn,
    I definitely prefer oysters raw. But lightly steaming keeps it from being too dry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!