Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Greek Salad

As I said, use only a little bit of feta cheese for the Watermelon, Feta, and Basil Salad, and used the rest to make a Greek Salad.

Greek Salad 1

I have been known to sometimes add iceberg lettuce to my Greek salads. As I was making this though, I could just hear Peter of Kalofagas, in Mr. Hyde mode, chiding me that adding iceberg wouldn't be considered "authentic."

I would argue that "traditional" might be the better word. Although a Greek salad doesn't "traditionally" include iceberg lettuce, I ordered Greek salads several times while in Greece and they did indeed add iceberg lettuce. Was it because I was a tourist, or could it be that the "traditional" Greek salad had evolved?

I think the crispness of iceberg goes well with the rest of the ingredients. Rather than dwelling on what is or isn't perceived as "authentic," I simply worry about taste. I think we can debate endlessly about "authenticity" when it comes to cuisine. But cuisines, like cultures, are fluid, incorporating new ingredients and influences along the way.



Greek Salad 2


Greek Salad

You'll need:
1 large cucumber, chunked
2 tomatoes, chunked
1 small red onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 can olives, drained
1 block feta cheese, crumbled
1 or 2 tblsp red wine vinegar
1 tblsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper

Peel the cucumber in strips like shown in my Cucumber Salad. This way you keep some of the green in the cucumber for color, but cuts down on the bitter waxiness of the peel. Cut into big chunks.

Cut two tomatoes into big chunks.

Thinly slice one small red onion.

Dice one green bell pepper.

Add one can drained olives.

Then drizzle about 1 or 2 tblsp red wine vinegar, 1 tblsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp dried oregano. I used the last of my homemade dried oregano from my garden. Give a few turns of freshly ground black pepper.

Toss.

Allow the salad to chill in the refrigerator for about half an hour before serving.

Enjoy!

*****
1 year ago today, Pingo Yogurt - Alhambra.

2.5

6 comments:

  1. I've been to Greece many times and never had Iceberg lettuce served in a Greek salad but I believe you were served it.

    Perhaps you dined at places that catered to many tourists and let's face it, iceberg lettuce was introduced as "filler".

    The Greek salad looks wonderful here and at least you explored the dish, rather than going head first with iceberg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had "Greek" salad with iceberg lettuce in the States, too.

    Well, we've never added green peppers in our Greek salad, so Peter graciously calls ours a 5/8 of a Greek salad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my hubby would love something like that. I've never had Greek salad before so may give this a try soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greek salads are my favorite, I make them all kinds of ways, authentic and not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of our favorite salads, and yes, we serve it with lettuce too! Usually, we add romaine lettuce instead of iceberg because, well, Hubby prefers to see more "green" in his salads.
    - Ning

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter,
    Iceberg might have been introduced as a filler, but my point is that it's now sometimes served as part of a Greek salad. And I think it's crispness and neutral taste works well. I've made Greek salads many, many times, with and without iceberg lettuce, and I like them both ways.

    Eating Club,
    Haha! 5/8, which three ingredients were you miss? ;)

    Hedgehog,
    Really? I always thought everyone knew what Greek salads were. It's super easy to toss together.

    Pam,
    Haha. Me too.

    Ning,
    I like romaine too. It's all good as long as you get some greens in ya.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!