Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, January 28, 2008

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls)

Updated pictures and recipe from the archives on January 23, 2015:

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 3

After experimenting with a bunch of food lately, I've been craving Vietnamese comfort foods. Which is great because it gave me a chance to update photos of some of my more popular recipes.

One of my favorites is Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls). Bun (rice vermicelli noodles) and com tam (broken rice) dishes may appear varied on restaurant menus but the key is to realize that the multiple listings are just various combos of those items. Add or subtract ingredients as you wish.

So this isn't so much a recipe, as it is an assembly list. Well, with a recipe for the grilled pork. :)

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 4

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls)

For about 4 servings, you'll need:
1 lb of pork shoulder or butt, skin on or off according to your preference, sliced thinly
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large shallot, minced
2 tsps Nuoc Mam (Vietnamese Fish Sauce)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

Optional: Add 1 tsp Indonesian kecap manis for color.

For assembling the noodle bowls, you'll need:
The above-mentioned grilled pork
Tom Xao Bo (Vietnamese Shrimp Sauteed in Butter).
Cha Gio (Vietnamese Egg Rolls).
Do Chua (Vietnamese Pickled Stuff ie. Carrots and Daikon).
Nuoc Mam Cham (Vietnamese Fish Dipping Sauce)
1 lb bun (Vietnamese rice vermicelli noodles), boiled and drained

Cucumbers, julienned
Herbs such as cilantro, mint, rau ram (Vietnamese coriander)
Peanuts, crushed

Slice the pork into 2-inch-by-1/2-inch strips. It doesn't need to be paper-thin, just thin enough to cook quickly. Add 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 large minced shallot, 2 tsps fish sauce, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp ground black pepper. Mix thoroughly and set aside.

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 5

If you plan to grill this, leave to marinate for about half an hour before cooking.

While the meat is marinating, make the egg rolls, boil the noodles, and prepare the garnishes.

When everything is ready, cook the meat.

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 6

You can grill, but sometimes I just cook everything in a saute pan. Toss in some shrimp too if you'd like.

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 7

Now it's time for assembly.

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 8

Add noodles to the bottom of the bowl, layer with herbs, cucumbers, pork, shrimp, and egg rolls. The saucer of fish dipping sauce is to be poured over the bowl if you wish. Hmm. What's missing?

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 9

Oops! Forgot the pickled carrots and crushed peanuts.

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 10

Now, it's complete. Dig in!

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 11

For one of my most popular recipes, and something I eat fairly often, I've just been lazy about updating the photos. Egads! Seven years ago this sad picture garnered quite a bit of praise. You'll have to agree with me that the new pictures are way better!

Bun Thit Heo Nuong, Tom, Cha Gio (Vietnamese Rice Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork, Shrimp, and Egg Rolls) 1

Enjoy!

Who made my recipe for bun tom nuong?
Pepy of The Art and Science of Food said, "...I'm very satisfied with the result as it tasted damn close with the restaurant ones!"

*****
1 year ago today, Thit Kho Trung (Vietnamese Braised Pork with Hard-Boiled Eggs).

22 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous plate of food...people pay to eat this stuff you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely crazy about the grilled pork with fried roll and noodles. I get it just about everytime I go to a pho restaurant. Thanks for the recipe! I'll make this for when the weather's warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh that grilled pork sounds delicious! I'll use the stovetop method though since I don't have a grill. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh nice! The grilled pork certainly sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am absolutely smitten by these dishes..they look really sinfully delicious!! i specially like the braised pork with hard boiled egg..i could feel the taste till here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. I left a message earlier and something happened to it....

    I have made your thit kho recipe several times since last year and your new photo looks great! What camera did you get?

    And as for bun tom etc., that's one of my favorites to order at VN restaurant that I don't know well -- seems like most do it well :-) I like your grilled pork recipe - will try it broiled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosssh... I'm so sorry! voted wrongly?! I even left comment there man! How can i did that... huh...Really have to improve my internet skilling :(

    a friend of mine bought me few packs when he was back from Ha Noi. He told me those are made by rice. Even thinner than a pc of paper.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shrimp three days in a row, you rock! Your new goi cuon picturs are absolutely lovely. The beautiful blue rimmed plate makes them pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter,
    Thanks! So how much are you willing to pay? ;)

    Jaded,
    What? And not order pho? :P

    Bill,
    Thank you.

    Amy,
    I actually prefer stove top to concentrate the flavors. :)

    Daphne,
    Thanks.

    Dhanggit,
    Aww, your compliment was too nice. Too bad there's no such thing as scratch and sniff over the internet.

    Nikki,
    Hmm. I never got an email with the previous comment so I think the Blogger bugs must have eaten it. I didn't know you made my thit kho recipe before! Oh, wait, I think I remember suggesting you make kho, but I didn't realize it was my recipe that you made.

    I just upgraded my elph, so instead of a Canon SD110, it's a 1000.

    BigFish,
    It's OK. I knew I wasn't gonna win. Just didn't want to lose by a wide margin. :P

    WoRC,
    Thanks. It's one of my favorite plates. Bought for $1 if I recall correctly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe, is it me or is that portion mighty small? I feel like I could eat way more than that! Nice presentation though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe! I always get this at Vietnamese places, but now I can make it at home! My mom tried making this once, but the vermicelli clumped together. Which brand/type of vermicelli should that doesn't stick? Am looking forward to trying your Vietnamese recipes when I have access to a proper kitchen. Dorms don't offer much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary,
    I don't have any preferred brand, I just buy what's cheap. My trick for getting the noodles to not stick together is to upend a rice bowl into the bottom of the colander to reduce surface area. Look at either my pho bo or pho ga recipes for pictures of what I'm talking about.

    I remember living in the dorms and desperately wanting VNese food...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yoooohooo!! I made the grilled pork last night. It was very good! I love your blog, good job!!

    Thanks,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rachel,
    Glad the recipe worked out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just had a nice bowl of Bun with Sugarcane shrimps, grilled beef, fried spring rolls, grilled beef balls and grilled prawns for lunch. I was torn between the Bun and Pho, my all time favourite. I think i should try making this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PP,
    Thanks for the reminder. I still haven't done a grilled beef recipe yet. It's a super easy recipe to make at home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always wondered how the pork was made! Soooo easy. I made this last night for my wife and myself. I followed the instruction but doubling it. I found it good but very salty. I did do the pan sear or rather in wok with little or no marinade time. In my humble opinion I would half or quarter the salt for this recipe if you decide to pan sear it. I finished off the dish with fresh bun from the Asian market cilantro, shredded carrot, cucumbers, and the Vietnamese sweet dipping sauce. I loved it and with the rest of the meat i made a (bah min?) sandwich. Thanks for sharing!! -happy camper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don,
    Thanks for pointing it out. This is an old recipe and I'd reduce the salt and fish sauce quite a bit compared to how I write my recipe now. Will fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, thanks for sharing all teh wonderful recipes. I am planning to make this soon and wondering if you had already made the adjustments to the salt level mentioned above or should I do that on my own? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yen,
    I adjusted the salt and fish sauce a while back so you can go with what's listed here. But as always, feel free to adjust to suit your tastebuds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!