Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Seafood Village - Temple City

Back in June, for another special occasion, my brother followed his friend's recommendation and booked reservations at Seafood Village in Temple City. We were there specifically for the house special crab, which according to his friend was so good that it made his crab-hating father-in-law a convert. But we'll get to that in a bit. Seafood Village features the requisite seafood tanks so the fish and crab are fresh.

Seafood Village - Temple City 1

In recent years, Trieu Chau/Chiu Chow cuisine has been the latest SoCal Chinese food trend. Trieu Chau (I'm going by the Vietnamese pronunciation here) is the eastern region of Canton/Guang Dong province. Trieu Chau cuisine is less oily than standard Cantonese fare, features more poaching or steaming or braising, and more seafood. Every item we ordered was excellent. Slightly more delicate in preparation if you will.


I couldn't find a menu for the breakdown, but if I recall correctly, total cost of everything we ordered here was slightly more than $100. Very reasonable when you consider that the crab was a good chunk of that price.

Complimentary peanuts and pickles.

Seafood Village - Temple City 2

One of my favorites, crab and egg drop soup. Very delicate and tasty.

Seafood Village - Temple City 3

The house special crab. Lightly battered, fried, with garlic and onions. Similar to the house special crab at Macau Street in Monterey Park but kicked up a notch. The crab retained its delicate sweetness, while the seasonings were so tasty that my brother ate it with plain rice. The crab was big and meaty, the claws already cracked for ease in eating.

Seafood Village - Temple City 4

This was goose on a bed of boiled peanuts, one of the restaurant's specialties.

Seafood Village - Temple City 5

Poached chicken with Chinese Green Onion and Cilantro Dipping Sauce. While the chicken didn't bowl me over, the dipping sauce definitely did.

Seafood Village - Temple City 6

Goose feet braised with lotus root. Yum! The lotus root retained its delicacy while absorbing the goose feet flavors.

Seafood Village - Temple City 7

Sauteed pea greens for the veggie and health-conscious.

Seafood Village - Temple City 8

Beef hot pot. One of the house specialties.

Seafood Village - Temple City 9

Beef chow fun with dry soy sauce. Remember what I said about Trieu Chau cuisine being lighter? This standard Cantonese dish looks so oily in comparison to all the other dishes huh? Still tasty, but just oilier in comparison to everything else we ordered that night.

Seafood Village - Temple City 10

The crab fried rice was sooooo good! Lots of delicate crab pieces, less oil than I'm used to seeing in fried rice. We scraped this plate clean.

Seafood Village - Temple City 11

Not sure what this is called but this taro paste, gingko nuts, and water chestnuts dessert is my very favorite Trieu Chau dessert.

Seafood Village - Temple City 12

This was the restaurant's complimentary dessert, which is almost the same thing, minus the taro paste. And yes, the sweet taro paste made all the difference.

Seafood Village - Temple City 13

Crystal steamed buns. I can't quite remember the flavors, I'm guessing almond, green tea, black sesame, and egg custard? They were all very yummy although I think a bit overpriced.

Seafood Village - Temple City 14

So if you think you know Cantonese food, think again. Trieu Chau cuisine is a more delicate touch that's slightly healthier as well. The restaurant is small, so be prepared for a wait at peak times.

Seafood Village
9669 Las Tunas Dr.
Temple City, CA 91780
626-286-2299
11 a.m. to 1 a.m.

*****  
1 year ago today, Rau Muong Xao Toi Chao (Vietnamese Water Spinach Sauteed with Garlic and Fermented Bean Curd).

6 comments:

  1. You know what's wierd? We do read your blog everyday, and though this post and the one below it are dated January 9th and 8th, neither appeared in my RSS feed or broswer until today, January 19th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. goose feet braised with lotus root!!!I do miss it dearly. That picture of lightly battered crab makes my mouth water as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review, WC. I think my parents would really like to try this place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The taro Trieu Chau dessert - in Teochew or Trieu Chau , they call it Or Nee. I like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crab hating father in law? How can anyone hate crab?!!

    And I never knew goose feet were an option in the edible feet category. Are they like chicken feet, but webbed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave,
    Just behind in my posts. :)

    Hedgehog,
    I think that's the first time I've heard of anyone who craves goose feet and lotus root. :P

    Nikki,
    I highly recommend it!

    Tigerfishy,
    I thought the or nee was just the taro paste, not the whole dessert?

    Marvin,
    I know!

    Goose feet taste like duck feet, which do taste like webbed chicken feet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!