Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, September 06, 2010

The Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.)

A few months back, I noticed The Boiling Crab coming soon sign had replaced Angelina's Southern Cuisine on Main Street in Alhambra. It's been three years since The Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Valley Blvd.) opened and lines are just as long as ever.

Startlingly, I realized it's been more than two years since I've dined there. So when my brother suggested dinner at Boiling Crab the evening after lil' sis ran the Disneyland half marathon, we were all looking forward to it.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 1


This Vietnamese-American-owned Cajun crawfish chain has now grown to 10 locations in Texas and California. The new Alhambra location is slightly larger and just as popular. Get there before 6 p.m. or wait with everyone else in the patio area.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 2


Oldest nephew happened to be up north too so he decided to join us. He had been looking forward to trying Cajun crawfish after hearing lil' sis talk about it.

We started with a dozen raw oysters, $13.99.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 3


He reminded me that I introduced him to oyster shooters at Le Bistro Montage - Portland, and now I was introducing him to Vietnamese-American Cajun crawfish. Aww. Made me feel like a good auntie, exposing him to new things.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 4


We donned bibs for the occasion.

Tiberia is now six months! How time flies! She's at the age where she wants to grab at everything.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 5


Lil' sis, time to hand our niece back to me.

*Smooch.*

I can't resist.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 6


So when the rest of the food came, I gladly played with her so my brother and his wife could eat.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 7


We ordered two pounds of crawfish with the "whole shebang" for $7.99/lb. They're kinda stingy on the corn and sausage. Only one piece of each if you order two pounds.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 8


Two pounds of shrimp with the "whole shebang" at $8.99/lb.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 9


Dungeness crab was $12.99/lb.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 10


Cajun fries were $2.99.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 11


They now charge 25 cents for tap water. I know! At least they give free refills.

Messy, messy eating.

Then the aftermath.


Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Main St.) 12


I get a lot of hits with people trying to guess the seasonings. I have my Vietnamese-Cajun boil recipe, but have no idea what's in Boiling Crab's version. I definitely tasted celery salt this time though, along with the butter, lemon pepper, and garlic.

Other Cajun crawfish restaurants:
The Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Valley Blvd.)
Rockin' Crawfish - Westminster (Little Saigon)

The Boiling Crab
33 W. Main St.
Alhambra, CA 91801
626-300-5898
Monday to Friday 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday noon to 10 p.m.

*****
1 year ago today, taco burger and carne adovada-stuffed sopaipilla at Sadie's of New Mexico - Albuquerque - New Mexico.
2 years ago today, miscellaneous blog stuff with blog my blog 3, new feeds, vote for me, August poll results, and advertise.
3 years ago today, Butter, Cream Cheese, Italian Meat Trio Sandwich.

9 comments:

  1. I can see why this is a family affair - it looks delicious but really really messy! But that niece of yours is adorable. Look at her attention to all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Tiberia was just born! I bet you she loves paper. She's sooo adorable!

    When I was pregnant with my daughter, I ate a whole dungeness crab and a pound of shrimp! I never knew I could eat that much in one sitting. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never made it to Boiling Crab! Looks yummy and I can't believe they have 10 locations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about The Boiling Crab the other day (I've never been)! Great timing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How timely! I've never been to The Boiling Crab though many of my friends have made the trek from Hollywood. I work in Koreatown and just learned yesterday that they're opening one here in October! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been either! Hmm...maybe we all go together? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki,
    She's curious about everything these days and doesn't ever want to sit still. Groping hands and messy food don't mix.

    Diana,
    Does your daughter love paper? That's how it is with kids, right? They're just happy with cardboard boxes.

    Anna,
    It's not like you won't ever come back to SoCal! :P

    Marie,
    You haven't? We'll have to put that down for the next time we get together.

    Vuthy,
    Huh! Ktown, or LA proper is quite a departure from their VNese-heavy areas.

    WeeMo,
    See my comment to Marie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me miss the East Coast crab houses. Ever try Old Bay crab seasoning? It's even yummy on things like popcorn, egg salad, fried chicken...

    (Hope you gave a copy of that second photo of beautiful Tiberia to her mother. It's a keeper!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy,
    Yup, I add Old Bay to my seafood boils and fried chicken and jambalaya and gumbo. It gets a lot of use. :P

    My brother takes plenty of photos of his daughter. Too many to post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!