Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Traditional and Piggy Mooncakes

Isn't it so cute?

Pig Mooncake 1

I forgot that I had taken these moon cake pictures last year and since it's Mid-Autumn Moon Festival time again, figured I might as well share.

I was buying groceries at Asia Supermarket - Alhambra when I saw this gaily-wrapped piggy mooncake. Made a perfect gift for Gourmet Pigs. (Shhh! It was only $2.49.)

Pig Mooncake 2

I think it was filled with lotus paste? I didn't eat it so I can't remember.

I much prefer the seed and nut-filled ones. The one below is more traditionally-shaped. Can you believe it's homemade?!

Mooncake

Ha! Not made by me. One of my students' dad made it and gifted me with several of them.

My mom does make her own dried fruit and nut mooncakes though. I just haven't learned how yet.

*****
1 year ago today, stinky tofu, squid lips, and duck tongues at Indian Restaurant - San Gabriel.
2 years ago today, Farfalle with Oven-Dried Tomatoes, Mushrooms, and Corn.
3 years ago today, Lil' sis abandoned me :( and why we're such daddy's girls.

4 comments:

  1. hi, I had one of the piggy mooncakes recently and they have a lotus bean paste. I quite liked it. I bought a tiger one a while back and it had nuts in it too. I think I like both. Actually, I haven't met a mooncake I didn't like!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that piggy mooncake is so cute! Lotus paste sounds wonderful too. I've never had a mooncake but I am seeing SO many gorgeous photos of them and it's making me want one so bad! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mooncakes are crazy-expensive here. Or maybe I;m just cheap. ;) I'm surprised such a cute one was only $2+!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb,
    I like the nuts more. Too bad I didn't see any tiger ones or I would've bought one for my niece!

    Megg,
    I know! How could I resist buying it?

    TS,
    What's crazy expensive? I've never bought any of the normal kind since my aunts and uncles usually give me one or two, which is just enough for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!