Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena 1

Before oldest nephew and lil' sis left to go back, we met up with my brother and his family for a late lunch at Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles in Pasadena.

Roscoe's is a small chain of five restaurants that's been an L.A. institution for decades. It's been mentioned in several movies and rap songs, but my first introduction to Roscoe's was actually more than a decade ago through a college friend's friend. We alternated entertaining duties, and while I can't remember if I took her anywhere interesting, I do remember that her friend introduced me to Versailles' lemon garlic roast chicken and Roscoe's chicken and waffles (the location on Pico Boulevard though).

The Pasadena location was packed that Sunday in June and we had to wait for about 20 minutes for a table.

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena 2

There's a weird divider that runs through the restaurant so it felt a little like we were eating in a hallway. I had only eaten at this location once or twice before.

Mmm. Sweet tea with free refills, $2.30.

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena 3

My brother and his wife split the Herb's Special, half chicken and two waffles, $15.30. Lil' sis got the Carol C Special, one chicken breast and one waffle, $8.50.

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena 4

I got the House Combo #22 with mac and cheese, collard greens, cornbread, and two thighs, $11.40. I swapped one of my chicken pieces for half of oldest nephew's waffle.

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena 5

Oldest nephew got chicken livers and a waffle, $10.40. A huge plate of fried chicken livers. He's crazy! They were good, but I can't eat a whole plate of them. Douse them with hot sauce for maximum flavor.

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena 6

The waffles and fried chicken are decent. It's just the combo of the two that gets people here. I think the food at the Pasadena location is better than the Pico one though.

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena 7

Personally, I think the fried chicken is juicier and the waffles are better at Merritt Bakery & Restaurant - Oakland, but that's too far away so Roscoe's will have to do. Thankfully, I rarely get fried chicken and waffle cravings. Fried chicken, yes. Waffles, not really.

But hey, chicken and waffles are totally an L.A. thing via Harlem anyway, and now oldest nephew can say he's tried this too.

Other fried chicken and waffle restaurants:
Merritt Bakery & Restaurant - Oakland

Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles
830 N. Lake Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91104
626-791-4890
Monday to Thursday, and Sunday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday and Saturday 8 a.m. to midnight

*****
1 year ago today, Shiprock - New Mexico.
2 years ago today, How to Make a Loofah/Luffa Sponge.
3 years ago today, thanh long (Vietnamese dragon fruit) in my youngest uncle's garden.

5 comments:

  1. I like Roscoe's, but I don't loooooove Roscoe's.

    I'm with you on fried chicken and waffles. I like fried chicken more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi wc - i've only been to the roscoe's in oakland and that was a while ago. i thought the chicken was too dry. i'm willing to try it again tho'...good to know there's one in pasadena.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had that in a while.. I think it's time to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chicken and waffles? That combination isn't making any sense to me at all!

    And wow, your oldest nephew is brave ordering just chicken liver...

    ReplyDelete
  5. WeeMo,
    Exactly! Besides, Tuesdays and Thursdays are 99cent leg and thigh day at Popeye's. :P

    CC,
    The one you went to must have been a knock-off then because Roscoe's only has five restaurants in SoCal, three in LA, Pasadena, and Long Beach.

    Diana,
    I've eaten at Roscoe's a total of three times in my entire life. :P

    Oanh,
    Haha! Well, if you ever make your way here, I will introduce it to you and see how you like it. Even he couldn't finish the plate of just livers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!