Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, May 09, 2010

Grapefruit-sized Shasta Gold Tangerines

Last week, while at the Alhambra Farmers' Market, I thought I saw ugly oranges and asked what kind they were. Turned out, they weren't oranges, but super large tangerines. Shasta Gold tangerines.


Grapefruit-sized Shasta Gold Tangerines 1

How large?



That's a Fuji apple from Ha's Apple Farm, my favorite apple farmer, for comparison.


Grapefruit-sized Shasta Gold Tangerines 2

I forgot how much they cost per pound. I paid $5 for these three.

Did they taste like tangerines? Yes, indeed! Juicy, sweet, tangerines. Sized as big as a grapefruit!


Grapefruit-sized Shasta Gold Tangerines 3

Which reminded me of when DJ Jewelz ate five tangerines because he couldn't get enough and wished for grapefruit-sized ones. Well, there you go!


Grapefruit-sized Shasta Gold Tangerines 4

I'm not such a tangerine fiend, but these were mighty tasty!

Look for them in the same aisle as the orchid seller, on the side closest to Monterey Street.

Alhambra Farmers' Market
On Monterey, between Bay and Main Streets
Alhambra, CA 91801
626-570-5081
Sundays 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Go here to find a farmers' market near you.

*****
1 year ago today, Vietnamese-French Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine and Mushrooms.
2 years ago today, ga hap (Vietnamese steamed chicken).
3 years ago today, a video and my not-so-pretty but oh-so-yummy Spam Musubi.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks WC! Can't wait to get some of these mutant looking tangerines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I wonder if I can find some of those around here. They may look ugly on the outside, but giant tangerines sounds like a dream. I like them much better than oranges, so I'd like to try one of these at least once in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julian,
    Who knew wishing for grapefruit-sized tangerines would become reality? :P

    Misha,
    The most hideous fruits are often the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!