Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, May 07, 2010

Don't Fence Me In Quilt

Dissatisfied with my Frowsy Flowery Quilt, I brainstormed for another design. Since my first log cabin quilt was a little uneven at spots, I wanted to do another log cabin, but more orderly. Or maybe my libra brain wanted something more structured?

So on January 6, 2008, I started again. I dubbed this one my "Don't Fence Me In" quilt.


Don't Fence Me In Quilt 1


"Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies abooove,
Dooon't fence me iiin.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I looove,
Dooon't fence me in.
Let me be by myself in the eeevenin' breeeze,
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwoood trees,
Send me off foreverrr but I ask you pleeease,
Don't feeence me in..."


Don't Fence Me In Quilt 2


By the next day, I had made a nice 9-patch of log cabins. Blue on one side for the starry skies abooove, green for the wide open country that I looove. The fuchsia is for the evenin' sunsets. Haha. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I also have a blue flannel with cowboys on horses jumping over fences that I would add into the blue areas too that would fit in with my theme.


Don't Fence Me In Quilt 3


And yes, you're seeing still more patches from the Sushi/Dim Sum Quilt that I haven't used up. Man! Those six yards of fabric got a lot of use. Three pajama pants for me and lil' sis, the Sushi/Dim Sum Quilt, a brief appearance in my Apple Tree Quilt, and as a patch on a onesie.

You can also see there's that Japanese-ish wave fabric in the older '88's Happy Sailing Quilt. My youngest aunt gave me a bunch of fabrics from her stash, including some leftover remnants of my oldest uncle's old couch. True patchwork quilting indeed!


Don't Fence Me In Quilt 4


And there it's sat for the past two years. I still want to finish this though. It's a nice lap size as it is now. Should I just finish it off at this size? Or continue and make it a full quilt?

*****
1 year ago today, Banh Cuon Tan Dinh - Portland - Oregon (Closed).
2 years ago today, my family's preferred free-range organic chickens at Chinese American Live Poultry - Rosemead.
3 years ago today, my first cooking video - how to make homemade frozen yogurt without an ice cream machine.

2 comments:

  1. I think a lap quilt. I know it's warm in LA but here in Seattle, I still use one in the evening. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Takahashi,
    Oh man, it's been so hot this summer, I haven't touched anything.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!