Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Faux Beignets

Faux Beignets 1

I asked my friend (he of the only a Red Jambalaya is a "proper" jambalaya) what he'd say about my faux beignets made with canned biscuits.

"That's despicable."

:P

Well, I'm not claiming this is a proper beignet recipe. One of these days, I might go through the trouble of making them from scratch and waiting for the yeast to rise and all that. But when I tweeted about this 5-minute recipe with only two ingredients, there was quite a response from people looking for short cuts too. What can I say? People need shortcuts and you might turn your nose up at it, but my Faux Tiramisu recipe is pretty popular too!

I've been making these fake beignets for years. Sometimes, I poke a hole through the middle and call them fake doughnuts. Sometimes, I cut them into fourths, roll them up, and call them doughnut holes.

But on this particular day, I was feeling like beignets, puffy squares of fried dough, with a cup of coffee.

Since they were faux beignets, I opted to make a quickie cup of Malaysian Deli-Bes White Coffee (Kopi Putih Ipoh) instead of my usual Cafe Du Monde Vietnamese iced coffee.

C'mon. Admit it. The picture looks like the real thing, doesn't it?

Faux Beignets 2

Faux Beignets

For 2 to 4 servings, you'll need:

1 can of instant biscuits in a can
1/4 cup powdered sugar
oil for deep-frying

Bwahaha! Generic biscuits in a can for 25 cents. Generic powdered sugar from the pantry.

Faux Beignets 3

Fill your deep-fryer or wok or pan with several inches of oil. Turn the heat to medium.

Pop the top off the can of biscuits and stretch them out so they're a bit square-ish. You actually don't even need to dust them with flour. I was just doing that for the photo.

Faux Beignets 4

Deep fry until golden. Drain on paper towels.

Dust them with lots of powdered sugar and serve them with coffee for an afternoon pick-me-up.

Faux Beignets 5

See? Fluffy insides. Sure it's not the real thing. But it only took me 5 minutes to make.

Faux Beignets 6

Enjoy!

Some of my other American Southern recipes:
Buttermilk Biscuits
Cajun Vietnamese Shrimp Boil
Creole Red Jambalaya with Chicken and Sausage
Fried Green Tomatoes
Okra and Tomatoes
Southern Baked Beans
Southern Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy and Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

*****
1 year ago today, Part 8 of my How to Start a Food Blog series - Photos: Photography Tips, Storage, and Watermarking.
2 years ago today, Ravioli with Basil, Squash Blossoms, and Ricotta.

15 comments:

  1. I don't care if they're faux. I'd totally eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm.... they look yummy!
    Btw, real beignets don't have any yeast in them! And they're not as long to prepare as you may think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to make this recipe, but I don't have any powdered sugar. If I wanted to make this recipe could I use pillsbury cinnamon bun dough and then sprinkle coarse sugar on top? Thank you, together we will create my recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant, why didn't I think of this, ha now I have found a fix to my beignet craving without leaving the house next time. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. WeeMo,
    I'll make them for one of our get-togethers. :)

    Nico,
    No yeast? Even easier?! I thought they had to rise like bread?

    Allie,
    Well, beignets are supposed to be plain dough with powdered sugar. I've fried them and sprinkled with plain sugar so they're like doughnuts. I've never tried frying cinnamon bun dough before but don't see why not? If you roll them flat, they'd be like elephant ears!

    David,
    Fake recipes for the win! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi wc - i've never had a beignet before(hangs head in shame) but now that i have your recipe, i will definitely make them!

    your powdered sugar is from target! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brings back fond memories. Growing up, my mom used to make faux beignets, faux donuts and faux elephant ears. Must stop by the market on the way home tonight...The elephant ear is basically stretched/rolled out refrigerator biscuit/roll dough (the thinner the better) that is deep fried and sprinkled with cinammon sugar. BTW, elephant ears were a popular carnival/fair food in the midwest. Hard to find in Calif (I've been looking for the past 20 years, sigh)We are in the land of the churro, which is good but not the same. I think my mom got the idea of the faux beignet from our sponsor/"adopted" american grandmother who hailed from Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's very clever :) I love recipes like this and look forward to more of your shortcuts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they look like really good fry jacks to me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nico,
    Ah thanks. I've got some other beignet recipes bookmarked too.

    Canine Cologne,
    I'll have you know, I bought that powdered sugar from the most exclusive of French stores. ;)

    You have to make a trip to New Orleans and try them from Cafe Du Monde! Nothing beats the experience of a cup of coffee, plate of beignets, and live jazz.

    Yum Cha Girl,
    Oh, I've totally made these into elephant ears too. :) You know, come to think of it, I've don't remember eating too many elephant ears in CA. I guess we are in churro country.

    5 o'clock tsp,
    Haha. Apparently lots of people like cheat recipes because I've gotten lots of hits for this.

    Katie,
    Fry jacks? Like fry bread?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cafe du Monde sells beignet mix also. Just add water! :) I've seen it available at Cost Plus before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi wc - new orleans is one of the cities on my 'must visit' list! my husband's been there a few times and he can attest to the cafe du monde experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah,
    Thanks for the tip! I had no idea Cost Plus sold it. I haven't been to that store in so long.

    Canine Cologne,
    You've never been! One of my friends recently moved there so I have to visit her some day. I've only been twice myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey guys,

    Nice to know that you are enjoying the Deli-bes White Coffee product. Anyway, if you wish to purchase this product, kindly contact me at +6012-4918878. I am the brand owner and would like to thank you for appreciating this product.

    HOpe to hear from all of you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. TK Loo,
    Nice! I really liked the white coffee. Good flavor without tasting too fake or powdery.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!