Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Downtown Portland - Oregon

I realized that I've now lived outside of Oregon for longer than I've actually lived in the state. That somehow makes me feel a little sad. But I'll always be an Oregonian at heart!


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 1

I'm heading home for a nice respite with the folks. Posting will be light to nonexistent. Ha! As if I haven't let weeks lapse before.

Third trip home in the past year and I have yet to post about my beloved hometown! Will have to rectify that soon. I leave you with these images taken by lil' sis on our trip home last September.




Around and about downtown Portland.


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 2

Pioneer Courthouse Square. Only in Portland would they replace a parking structure with a public park.


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 3


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 4


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 5


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 6


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 7


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 8


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 9


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 10


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 11


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 12


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 13


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 14

The Central Library. Where I used to study in high school and where lil' sis later studied too.


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 15


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 16

The children's room.


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 17


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 18

Portlandia in front of The Portland Building, designed by Michael Graves.


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 19

MAX, light rail powered by electricity and free throughout downtown.


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 20


Day 3.11 Downtown Portland - Oregon 21

Free city-wide Wi-Fi too. No sales tax. And home to the world's largest bookstore - Powell's!

So many places to show you when I get a chance. Gosh! I've missed mommy and daddy and good old Stumptown!

All Oregon posts can be found in the tag, Series: Oregon. I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
I-5 From LA to Portland
Mom and Dad's Garden
Burgerville - Portland - Oregon
Hakatamon - Beaverton - Oregon
I Think I'll Go For a Walk Outside Now...
Vista Point - Oregon City
End of Oregon Trail Interpretive Center - Oregon City
Stevens-Crawford Heritage House - Oregon City
Museum of the Oregon Territory - Oregon City
Mom's Banh Xeo (Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes)
Blackberry Cobbler
Bonneville Lock and Dam - Cascade Locks - Oregon
Bonneville Hatchery - Cascade Locks - Oregon
Multnomah Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Horsetail Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Wahkeena Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Bridal Veil Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Historic Columbia River Highway - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Latourell Falls - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Crown Point Vista House - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Banh Cuon Tan Dinh - Portland - Oregon (Closed)
Downtown Portland - Oregon
Lan Su Chinese Garden (Portland Classical Chinese Garden) - Portland - Oregon
Powell's City of Books - Portland - Oregon
Mom's Geoduck, Dynamite-Style and Chao Oc (Vietnamese Rice Porridge with Clams)

How to Prepare Geoduck and Razor Clams
Geoduck, Japanese Dynamite-style
Chao Oc (Vietnamese Rice Porridge with Clams)
Le Bistro Montage - Portland - Oregon
Kenny and Zuke's Delicatessen - Portland - Oregon

*****
1 year ago today, Banh Dua Nuong (Vietnamese Coconut Tartlets).
2 years ago today, Lavender Biscuits.

11 comments:

  1. Have a great time with your family, Chopsticks.

    Tell you Mom thanks for those lovely crocosmia bulbs that came from her garden. They are still blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi WC
    loved your sister's photos of portland. we visited the city in early april - had a lovely time there.stayed at the mark spencer hotel, a few blocks away from powell's but hung out a lot in the SE area. loved the food carts (lots of diversity!), the free light rail, and the overall vibe. very cool city! we'd love to go there again. we also stopped by the multnomah county library - the children's section is named after one of my fav childhood authors, beverly cleary. looking forward to your future posts on oregon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back to Portland last September and fell in love with it all over again. Great food markets, free transit, wonderful parks, and of course Powell's. A wonderful city. Good wines nearby too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only been to Portland once, but I loved it - really neat city. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, this is the first year I haven't been up to Portland since '01. I didn't realize how much that bugged me until I saw all these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you're having fun visiting your family. I had to go through my archive to see if you saw my pics of PDX (you did!) I gotta get back up there. Do me a favor and have a nice drink from one of the Portland BUBBLERS for me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Portland is so clean-thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed at the beauty of the Central Library. I discovered that it houses the first open floor plan in a library in the United States, designed by architect AE Doyle who also designed Benson Hotel, Reed College, the Meier & Frank building, the U.S. National Bank. I am particularly enamored of the stairs! Thanks so much for the tour of Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WC, did you get a chance to try Pine State biscuits? The line is always long but mmmmm it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chalten,
    Yup. I've said it early on. I looove Powell's and can easily spend the whole day there.

    Zoey,
    I'm so glad the crocosmias are doing so well in your garden.

    Canine Cologne,
    So glad you enjoyed your trip to my hometown. Your posts were quite fun to read too.

    TS,
    Well, only the downtown portions of the line.

    Watergirl,
    I love my hometown every time I come back too. Kinda makes it hard to leave. I still haven't gone on any winery tours. Can you believe that?

    Jonathan,
    Thanks! I did.

    Pulled Porker,
    You know, I didn't realize how much these little trips home rejuvenated me until I hadn't gone in a while.

    MaryRuth,
    Yes, I do remember your bubblers. :)

    Foodbin,
    All that oxygen. My lungs didn't know quite what to make of it. ;)

    Liz,
    So cool! I did not know all that and I thought I knew so much random stuff about Portland.

    Jerry,
    Have never tried Pine State biscuits. Now you've got me curious. I must try next time I'm home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!