Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Lavender Biscuits


OK, one last biscuit recipe. With homemade butter slathered on top, of course. :) Not much too it. I just added lavender seeds to my buttermilk biscuits recipe. Except there was no more buttermilk, so I substituted with soy milk and it worked really well anyway.

Lavender Biscuits

For half a dozen large biscuits, or a dozen small ones, you'll need:

2 cups flour
3/4 to 1 cup cold buttermilk, or cold regular milk, or cold soy milk if you wish
1/2 cup cold butter ie. 1 stick of butter
1-2 tsp sugar, depending on your sweet tooth
1 tblsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tsp lavender seeds (I actually used 1 tblsp lavender seeds and while pretty, found that a bit too bitter.)

In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups flour, 2 tsp sugar, 1 tblsp baking powder, a pinch of salt, and 2 tsp lavender seeds. Cut cold butter into chunks, or add butter to dry ingredients and mash them with a fork. Start with 3/4 cup cold milk and mix into dough. If it's still too dry, add in a bit more milk until all the flour is incorporated. The dough shouldn't be smooth, you just don't want excess flour.

Your ball of dough should look like so. You can work with this right away, but I think letting the dough rest for about 15 to 20 minutes makes the biscuits rise even more.

Put the dough on a cutting board and flatten to about 1-inch thick. Then cut with a biscuit cutter or upended glass. Since my cilantro biscuits looked so pretty in heart shapes, I decided it would do well for lavender biscuits as well. I usually get about half a dozen 3-inch-sized biscuits from this amount.

When baking, do you do it with a big heart?

Or a little one?

Or with all your heart - big and small?

I say, bake with all your heart. :)

Bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes until golden. You'll always get lovely results if you bake with all your heart. ;)

Slathered with homemade butter and honey. Maybe you'd like to pair it with a cuppa tra atiso (Vietnamese artichoke tea) as well?

Enjoy!

13 comments:

  1. Again, the hearts are adorable. Food is love, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love ur heart-shaped biscuit/scone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum!! I gotta try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Biscuity goodness and butter and honey... what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe.. oh yeah! using all my heart to make cookies and biscuits. Yours looks fantastic.. so yummy...and with fresh butter too!! woooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are adorable!! I'm not really a baker, but seeing those cute heart biscuits makes me want to try this recipe out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey WC - Those are mighty kawaii! I can almost smell them here......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly,
    Thanks.

    Anh,
    Thanks. It's a biscuit. You crazy Aussies. ;)

    Anon,
    Hope you like it.

    Nikki,
    Homemade honey? Heh, that's beyond the reach of my culinary skills.

    Daphne,
    Thanks!

    Jaded,
    Oh dear. I live in fear of what you'll end up doing with this. ;)

    Kirk,
    Welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw the little heart one is so cute. Mmm I want one right now with a big pat of that homemade butter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, your kitchen must have smelled so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy,
    Heh. Yeah, after I cut a few big hearts, I decided they weren't cute enough and used the smaller one.

    Jeannie,
    It did. I love the smell of lavender in general anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scones! They're scones! hehe!
    ;-) And they look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!