Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Southern Fried Chicken and Mashed Potatoes with Cream Gravy

Mashed Potatoes and Southern Fried Chicken

I love my large extended family. The last time we moved, a dozen cousins showed up at 8 a.m. to load up the moving van and all their various assorted cars. Once we got to the house, they quickly unpacked everything and even started lining my pantry cupboards! We fed them a couple of buckets of chicken and afterward they proceeded to set up and assemble my furniture. We were treated to a funny, amusing mirror show by one of my cousins and just used the opportunity to hang out with each other. And then we all went out for dinner.

This past weekend was no different. This time around I requested help with several large dressers and my bed and frame. I didn't expect them to cart my many, many, many books. Nor did they want to either. I put out the call and got half a dozen family members and two of their significant others. My second-youngest uncle lent me his van. And we were off! Well, with phone calls around 10 a.m. nudging everyone awake...

I swear, our family motto should be, "Will work for food."

Of course, I needed to reward my family for all their hard work so I made Feta Cheeseburgers. I made the patties the night before and they cook up quickly on my little George Foreman grill. While the burgers were cooking, I was frying up chicken.

How good were they? Well, my second youngest cousin was supposed to go to the beach with his friends but opted to help move so he could have some fried chicken. OK, maybe the light sprinkling of rain had a little something to do with that decision too...

I made 5 lbs worth of mashed potatoes with sour cream, but the cream gravy doesn't come until after I finish frying the chicken. This is not a low-fat meal, so it's a good thing I only make this once a year.

Southern Fried Chicken and Mashed Potatoes with Cream Gravy 

For the chicken, you'll need:
1 4-lb package of chicken drumsticks (or thighs or breasts or whatever your preference)
3 cups flour (I use a 2/3 white, 1/3 wheat flour ratio)
1-2 cups milk or soy milk
2 eggs
1 tblsp salt
Spices (I use Old Bay, celery salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, basil, thyme, parsley, and a touch of cayenne pepper. Go up to 11 herbs and spices if you like.)

For the mashed potatoes, you'll need:
5 lbs potatoes (I use cheap Russets because it was on sale for 99 cents for a 10-lb bag. But I've also used a mix of gold and red potatoes too.)
milk
butter

Optional: sour cream

The night before you intend to fry the chicken, wash the chicken and allow to drain in a colander. Season with about 1 tablespoon of salt. I use a ratio of about 1 teaspoon per pound of chicken. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and leave in fridge overnight to brine.

You can make the mashed potatoes ahead of time if you wish. Or if you're not in a rush to feed hungry movers like I was, you can make it fresh on the same day you fry the chicken. Don't these mashed potatoes look so yummy?
 
Mashed Potatoes 1

OK, now let's get started making the potatoes, shall we? Set a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Peel and wash the potatoes. Keep them in a bowl of salty water to prevent them from browning.

Mashed Potatoes 2

Cut into 2-inch chunks.

Mashed Potatoes 3

Add to pot of boiling water. When the potatoes are so tender they break apart with a fork, drain into a colander.

Mashed Potatoes 4

Then dump the potatoes back into the pot. Mash with various portions of milk, butter, and sour cream until it's to your liking.

Mashed Potatoes 5

And you're done. Cover the potatoes and set aside.

Mashed Potatoes 6

Time to make the fried chicken. Mmm. Just look at the crispy coating.
Southern Fried Chicken 1

Add oil to your wok or fry pan and turn the heat between medium and medium-high. Back to the chicken, in a bowl mix 2 cups white flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, add in as many spices as you like. I dump in a tblsp of Old Bay and Lawry's seasonings, then a tsp or so of paprika, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, and ground black pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Southern Fried Chicken 2

In another bowl, beat two eggs into 1 1/2 cups milk. As you can see, you want to keep your brined chicken, flour and herb mixture, and milk and egg mixture near you for ease in frying.
Southern Fried Chicken 3

Take your chicken and dip it into the egg/milk mixture.
Southern Fried Chicken 4

Dredge it through the flour mixture making sure to coat evenly. Notice that even though it seemed like I added in a lot of seasonings, after mixing it up, you can barely see it amidst the flour.
Southern Fried Chicken 5

Dip it into the egg/milk mixture again.
Southern Fried Chicken 6

Dredge it through the flour mixture again. The double-dipping and dredging makes a nice crispy crust.
Southern Fried Chicken 7

Mmm. Crispy fried chicken.
Southern Fried Chicken 8

When all the chicken has been fried, drain the oil into another pan or bowl, reserving the flour that was in the bottom of the fry pan. If you're making a big batch of chicken, keep an eye out to make sure the flour doesn't burn. If it does, just drain out the oil, clean the pan, and continue frying. You don't need too much of the flour mixture to flavor the cream gravy. This is actually the amount of flour from about half a dozen drumsticks. I know this seems fatty, but it makes the best cream gravy. And I only make this about once a year so might as well indulge.
Southern Fried Chicken 9

Add any remaining flour spice mixture and any egg/milk mixture to the pan. Add a good couple of cups of milk if needed. Stir until the flour has thickened the milk and a cream gravy has formed.
Southern Fried Chicken 10

Now add all the elements together and you've got the perfect plate of Southern fried chicken, mashed potatoes with cream gravy.
Southern Fried Chicken 11

You may want to serve this with Buttermilk Biscuits.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. Why, I feel like I'm back in North Carolina! That is some authentic and delicious looking grub! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, that looks so good! I love that milk gravy, but I hardly ever eat it.

    By the way, thanks for the tip on pricking the citrus skin with a fork to release the flavor. I had never thought of that, but it makes so much sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the time and effots gone to the marination, this must be finger lickin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. darn, i never get to try your fried chicken. my bro says theyre good. damn 5lbs of mashed potatoes? did you guys eat it all?

    t

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm mmm, I can't believe anyone would go to KFC or those other fast food chicken places after this post. Your recipe makes fried chicken sound so easy, and the pictures look better than any golden fried chicken I ever saw! I want gravy and potatoes and fried chicken now! You're killing my diet WC! Can you feature a salad or a diet shake next? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan,
    Thanks! And it's nice to see you doing better.

    Zoey,
    That's probably a good thing, cream gravy isn't that healthy.

    Tricia,
    :)

    Tigerfish,
    Not much to the marination. Just rubbing salt. :P

    Hey T,
    You should come down more often then. I'll make it for you anytime. :) And no, we didn't get to all of the mashed potatoes. By the time I made the gravy, everyone had already eaten all the chicken.

    PE,
    Thanks. And I did a healthy dish just for you. Although, I don't know how much frying it removes some of the healthy. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm i could sooo go for some more chicken right now...i think i'll yell to you in the next room and ask if we have more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bye bye popeyes, and say hello to WC wings !! :) oh my god, btw tt gobo root and this, what should I do :PP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lil' sis,
    I gave the 2 leftover drumsticks to cousin M, you know how much he loves them. :)

    MW,
    You should make fried chicken with gobo root fries that's what you should do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm fried chicken AND gravy AND potatoes... yum yum yum. I would help you move if I could get all that food too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy,
    Anytime. I'm sure we can work out an even exchange of food for labor. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!