Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Egg Rolls Stuffed with Bananas and Mangoes with Nutella Dipping Sauce

After my experiment of egg rolls with salmon and avocado, I decided to play around a little more since I still had some wrappers left. This is obviously a dessert egg roll. I remember eating banana wontons or some such dessert at P.F. Chang's China Bistro long ago. If you like fried bananas, you'll like this. Egg Rolls Stuffed with Bananas and Mangoes with Nutella Dipping Sauce For 10 mini egg rolls, you'll need: 5 egg roll wrappers, cut in half into 2 triangles 1 banana, peeled and chopped 1 small mango, peeled and chopped Heat a wok or fry pan to medium low. The wrapping of the egg rolls should go pretty quickly. After the banana and mango has been peeled and chopped, mix thoroughly. Starting at the longest end of the triangle, add 1 spoonful of filling. Fold in the sides and roll toward the corner point. Moisten the end with water to seal. Go here for my cha gio (Vietnamese egg rolls) recipe if you don't know how to wrap egg rolls. When all egg rolls are done, fry until golden. They should fry up pretty quickly since there's no raw stuffing to worry about. Serve with Nutella as a dipping sauce, or with ice cream if you wish. If using Nutella, spoon it out and pop it in the microwave for about 10 seconds or so just to warm up the chocolate so that it'll really be a "dip." These do not keep well since the moistness of the mango and banana will make the egg rolls soggy. So don't make them more than an hour before you plan to eat them. Ideally though, they're very quick to fry and taste better served warm. Enjoy! My other egg roll recipes: Cha Gio (Vietnamese Egg Rolls) Gluten-Free Cha Gio (Vietnamese Spring/Egg Rolls) Cha Gio Bap/Ram Bap (Vietnamese Corn Egg Rolls) Cha Ram (Vietnamese Shrimp Egg Rolls) Egg Rolls with Salmon and Avocado Lumpiang Prito (Filipino Fried Egg Rolls)

15 comments:

  1. hahah.. i'm not a fan of fried bananas, but i would dip anything into nutella because I love that stuff. Used to eat it all the time when I studied in Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I was wondering about your dessert eggroll. Filipinos do something similar, stuffing the wrapper with banana and jack fruit, it's called Turon. Sometimes we pour caramelized sugar over the Turon to finish it off, but your Nutella looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an innovative idea! And you've been posting often this week! We were very busy at work this week, so I had a lot of Wandering Chopsticks posts to catch up on today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey that sounds fun. I'd try it. Speaking of our conversation on dumplings... I made fried dessert dumplings once w/ a candied pear/mascarpone cheese filling and showered it w/ powdered sugar. Turned out great. you can search for it on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMmmmm! My mom used to fry bananas all the time - how I miss that warm sweetness. I don't deep fry much (except for the occasional egg rolls), but....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Henry,
    Why don't I just hand you the jar of Nutella instead? :)

    Marvin,
    Mmm. Bananas and jackfruit sounds good. I was thinking of a sugar syrup but that takes too much work.

    PE,
    Innovative, that makes me sound much cooler than playing around in my kitchen. Heh. :)

    EDNBM,
    Oooh, I'll have to give your dessert egg rolls a try.

    Nikki,
    I try not to fry much but I just had these on hand. I love fried bananas though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow mangos and bananas in an egg roll AND nutella! You make my tummy grumble (late afternoon munchies but still stuck at work). :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds weird. you eat funny. i am not a fan of bananas, fried foods (well i like chicken and fries, but fried foods aint good for my skin) or nutella (too sweet).

    t

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy,
    I knew as I was typing in Nutella this would be right up your alley. :)

    t,
    Well, I did say if you don't like fried bananas, you won't like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is brilliant - I'm not a dessert person, generally, but this is my kind of dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GC,
    Brilliant huh? I'll take any compliment I can get. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. BC,
    Ha! Who knew there's be such a response to my random idea? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the idea! I happened to be making egg rolls today using your recipe and also happened to be blogging about mango season where I live (Mexico City). Who could ask for a better day-egg rolls and mangos all rolled up into one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alice,
    Haha. I think during my original post, I must have had leftover egg roll wrappers as well. I hope my other egg roll recipe turned out well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!