Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, April 30, 2007

Everything's Growing Again!

Does this look like a real garden yet? There's still an awful lot of bare patches though.


Let's see what's growing in the herb garden on the side of the house.



Sweet peas have such a strong fragrance for such a little flower.

Ooh, can't wait for the fresh strawberries.

This Queen Anne's lace is from a wildflower mixture. I never know what's gonna turn up. See the blue cornflower right behind it?

My cannas and bac ha (taro plant) are slowly coming back to life from January's cold frost. This is part of my "bog garden" since water from the yard always pools in this area.

See the Blue Tide iris?

And the Dutch iris? Purple irises are my very favorite flower.

And Oriental poppies. Ugh! I absolutely hate the word Oriental, it's so offensive.

Is this a poppy too? With that wildflower mix, I can't always identify every flower.

And Love-in-a-Mist is just as elusive to capture with my camera as it is in real life. ;)

I'll show you all my roses in a separate posting. Too many pictures. And much weeding left to do. My peonies look like they're about to bloom. Peonies are notoriously finicky and hate SoCal weather. Hmm. Maybe January's cold frost helped that along. I only planted them a year ago and it looks like the red, white, and pink peonies all have buds. Yay!

5 comments:

  1. I like your garden. It's so colorful!
    You even grow your own strawberries.Wow!
    You have green fingers, lady :D
    Are strawberries relatively easy to grow?

    The blue tide iris, is it the one at the center ? Pretty, but looks domineering, like a mouth with sharp teeth :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tigerfish,
    Strawberries are easy to grow. You can even put them in containers. I started off with three small plants and the runners helped them spread fast. I bought everbearing strawberries so there's more than one set of berries out of them.

    Hehe, the blue tide iris is a little bearded iris, so its a bit fuzzy. Is that the "sharp teeth"? :) And if I like domineering flowers, what does that say about me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got such a big garden that I am starting to wonder how big is your house?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your Banksia is covering that arch. I had planted some sweetpeas this year (with some volunteers from last year), but just finished ripping them out last weekend. They had bloomed beautifully and I'd picked heaps of bouquets, but they were hogging way too much space. If you don't pick the flowers, they'll turn to seed pods and once a few do it, they all do. And before you know it, you'll have volunteers forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yich,
    The house is the smallest model, so the yard ends up being pretty spacious. And it's not that big, I just plant a whole lot of stuff everywhere. :)

    Nikki,
    The Banksia grew pretty fast. It was only about 2-feet tall in a 1-gallon pot when I bought it less than 2 years ago.

    I don't mind having sweet pea volunteers since I have a lot of blank space to fill in my yard. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!