Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Chicken Fingers

OK, back to my regular schedule of unhealthy food... ;)

For when I don't feel like going full out and making my Southern fried chicken and sour cream mashed potatoes with cream gravy, I do a quickie version of chicken fingers and French fries.

For two people, you'll need:
2 large chicken breasts, sliced into 1-inch wide strips (I usually get about 6-8 strips.)
2 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced into fries
3/4 cup flour (I prefer 2/3 white, 1/3 whole wheat flour.)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
spices and seasonings to taste (I use garlic powder, cayenne pepper, celery salt, basil, parsley, black pepper, Italian herb blend.)


Peel and slice potatoes and keep them in a bowl of salted water in the fridge to keep them from browning. (The coldness of the fridge will also help make them crispy.)

Heat a wok or fry pan to medium heat. Beat the egg into the milk, set aside. Add spices to the flour, set aside.

Take the chicken breast strips and dip it into the egg and milk mixture. Dredge through the flour/spice mixture. Dip the chicken strip into the egg and milk mixture again and dredge through the flour/spice mixture again. Fry until golden.

When the chicken is done, allow to drain excess oil. Drain and fry the potatoes. If there's any leftover flour mixture, you can dredge the pototoes too if you wish.

Serve with ketchup and ranch dressing like I do if you wanna be like me. :)

2 comments:

  1. Looks decadently delish, WC - but have you figured out why these are called chicken fingers when they, y'know, don't have any fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki,
    Heh, well, "chicken fingers" would really be chicken wings and we all love eating that! :P

    Apparently the term was coined by some restaurant in the South, but it didn't say why they used "fingers" as opposed to chicken tenders or strips. Wonder if I'll ever find out?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!