Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, February 16, 2009

Su Su Xao Tom (Vietnamese Chayote Sauteed with Shrimp)

Chayote on the vine naturally requires a chayote recipe. This one's pretty quick and easy. The natural sweetness of shrimp pairs well with the crispness and sweetness of chayote squash.


Su Su Xao Tom (Vietnamese Chayote Sauteed with Shrimp) 1

Su Su Xao Tom (Vietnamese Chayote Squash Sauteed with Shrimp)

For about two servings, you'll need:
2 chayote squash, julienned
About a dozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tblsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp salt

Peel and devein the shrimp. You can leave them whole or do a quick mince. Either way, add 1/2 tsp salt and leave them in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator until ready to use.

These chayote a little worse for the wear than picking them fresh from my mom's vine. Chayote peel is thin like carrots. It's a personal choice whether to peel or not. If not, do remember to remove any discolorations.


Su Su Xao Tom (Vietnamese Chayote Sauteed with Shrimp) 2

When you cut them in half, you'll see the seed. Remove that.


Su Su Xao Tom (Vietnamese Chayote Sauteed with Shrimp) 3

Then slice thinly or julienne. Although I love the almost apple-like crispness of chayote, it can be a pain working with them because they leave a mucus-like substance on my hands. Scrub with lots of soap and water and a bristle brush. Unless someone else has a better suggestion?

Then in a pan on high heat, drizzle a bit of oil and add julienned chayote and drained shrimp. Quick saute and it should be ready to eat in minutes.

Enjoy!

Who made my recipe for su su xao tom?
Christine of Kits Chow said, "It is a simple, easy and delicious dish."

*****
1 year ago today, canh bi/bau nhoi thit (Vietnamese pork-stuffed winter melon soup).
2 years ago today, angel hair pasta with bacon, balsamic chicken, and diced tomatoes.

7 comments:

  1. I use vinyl glove (or rubber or latex -- whatever's handy) because I can never get that odd combination of slick and tacky stuff off my hands. Lovely easy recipe, WC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! another easy south beach friendly dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it but it can get so expensive here. easily a $1 for a tiny one. thats what we get for living in a town that isn't diverse in foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ever since I read this post, I've been trying to remember what we call this fruit/vege in Oz. I'm so happy to report that I had a light bulb tonight while cooking dinner: it's a chokoe. Haven't seen it here yet in the UK, so don't know what old Blighty might call your chayote.

    I'm not sure my family call it su su, either, but I'm really struggling with trying to remember what I did call it, in Viet. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tee hee. I had a light bulb *moment*, not just a light bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love chayote but haven't had it Vietnamese style yet. This looks perfect! We'll definitely be giving it a try. ~ Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne,
    I should invest in some easy gloves for this and jackfruit. It's a pain to scrub and scrub.

    Van,
    I didn't know you were looking for South Beach-friendly dishes. :)

    Bluang3lbby,
    $1 for one isn't so bad.

    Oanh,
    Haha. My initial thought was that they do resemble lightbulbs. I think chayote might be the Spanish word, but that's what it's commonly referred to here.

    Belle,
    I hope you do! What other ways do you prepare it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!