Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, February 20, 2009

Seared Salmon with White Wine, Miso, and Soy Sauce Glaze

When I made the Green Tea Soba (Japanese Buckwheat Noodles) with Almond Butter, I tried to think of something that would pair well with Japanese noodles. Remembering my Misoyaki Salmon recipe, I thought I'd do something similar but substitute with the white wine I was already using in the noodles. I also didn't want to spend days or even hours marinating my fish, so a thick paste and pan-frying seared in the flavors.


Seared Salmon with White Wine, Miso, and Soy Sauce Glaze



Seared Salmon with White Wine, Miso, and Soy Sauce Glaze

For 2 small fillets, you'll need:
1/4 cup white wine (I used moscato.)
2 tblsp soy sauce
1 tblsp miso paste
1 tsp sugar

Combine 1/4 cup white wine, 2 tblsp soy sauce, 1 tblsp miso paste, and 1 tsp sugar. If the mixture seems too thick, dilute with a tiny bit of water. Rub the paste on all sides of the salmon.

In pan on medium-high heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil. Pan-fry the salmon until the outside is seared and the inside is fully cooked. This may take anywhere from 8 to 12 minutes depending on the size of the fish fillet.

Serve with rice or green tea soba (Japanese buckwheat noodles) with almond butter. If you wish, deglaze the pan with a bit of white wine. Extra marinade may be drizzled over the fish, if you wish. Ha! I rhymed.

Enjoy!

*****
1 year ago today, how to make a Scrambled Egg Omelet in a Wok.
2 years ago today, Yum Cha Cafe - San Gabriel is still my favorite place for freshly steamed shrimp cheong fun (Chinese rice noodle rolls).

13 comments:

  1. Perfect! My husband is going out of town tonight and I was looking for something to make for myself and this is it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good, I bought some green tea soba noodles because they looked interesting and I have no idea what to do with them. NOw I have an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks great..i've been wanting to try making a fish dish using miso, so looks like this is what will be for dinner this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious and I love to use miso on salmon. It adds wonderful flavor to the fish. Your marinade is thicker than mine and it also has better color. If I ever said "yum" I'd say it here. But I don't do that :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. WC,
    This looks great and healthy. You'll prob laugh at me but I have never had Japanese green tea soba. Am I sad or what?lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I was just eyeing my miso trying to remember what the heck I bought it for. Great idea, WC.
    (nikkipolani)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always see misoyaki black cod, at least that's the hip dish at Japanese fusion places nowadays. This is the first time I've seen it with salmon

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious! So many of the salmon recipes we have require marinating - this will be a good one for when we want a spontaneous salmon dish! ~ Belle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have all the ingredients but the salmon. Must go buy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always looking for new ways to cook salmon and I like your version! I also like your poetic instructions ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam,
    Did you make it?

    Nic,
    Thanks!

    Sawyer,
    My misoyaki salmon recipe is pretty similar and easy too.

    Mary,
    You can say yum! The thicker marinade is to compensate for less marination time.

    David,
    You can find green tea soba everywhere it seems like. I got mine at Trader Joe's.

    Anne,
    I need to come up with more uses for my miso too. I've had it so long, it's starting to dry out.

    Aaron,
    This is the poor (wo)man's version. :) I mentioned the misoyaki black cod craze in my misoyaki salmon recipe. I think Nobu kick-started that one.

    Muse in the Kitchen,
    I rarely plan food in advance to allow for enough marination time but it seems to work fine for me.

    Dennis,
    Haha. I'm sure you have a much better fish recipe using miso.

    Wiffy,
    Hehe. Glad someone's amused with my rhymes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So a lot of people have said how good it looks, or that they want to try it, etc. I actually made it in a pinch for a few friends tonight, but as a glaze for some fresh-caught sea scallops. The recipe as described was actually very thin and not particularly "pasty" or glaze-like.

    I tried dipping the scallops in the miso-wine broth and searing them, which was just okay. I wanted something more glaze-like, though, so I put the remainder of the mixture directly into the pan to create a reduction. Once I had a nice, thick layer of tasty I seared the scallops for just a minute or two on each side and served with a garnish of sesame seeds. Much better!

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kevin,
    I love comments after someone's tried the recipe. Hmm. This recipe is pretty old; my recipe writing skills are a bit better these days. Was your glaze thicker than mine in the photos? Glazes are easy enough to do by letting the sauce simmer a bit longer to thicken to your liking. Glad you were able to make it work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!