Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving 1

Happy Thanksgiving!

With about 20 guests to feed this year, I made two big turkeys, my usual salt rub and a South African spiced turkey. I extended my table and added a portable one and ran out of enough chairs for everyone. I invited some friends, my brother invited some friends, and it just grew into a full house. Not a bad first Thanksgiving to welcome the new house.

The two turkeys took a little finesse to fit into the oven at once.

Happy Thanksgiving 2

All the way in the back, there's the Baked Ziti with Zucchini I brought to my cousin's pre-Thanksgiving dinner. The usual Homemade Turkey GravyMashed Potatoes, and Stovetop stuffing. The Sinosouls brought homemade butternut squash soup with lemongrass cream. Yum! Must try to make that at some point.

Happy Thanksgiving 3

My usual Salt Rub and Butter Turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving 4

South African Turkey Rub with Basil, Garlic, and Smoked Paprika.

Happy Thanksgiving 5

So moist and delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving 6

Gan Xay Ga Tay (Vietnamese Turkey Liver Pate). What makes it Vietnamese? Fish sauce, of course!

Happy Thanksgiving 7

Corn Sauteed with Bacon and Green Onions.

Happy Thanksgiving 8

Brussels Sprouts Sauteed with Bacon.

Happy Thanksgiving 9

I made a Mashed Okinawan Purple Sweet Potato recipe back in 2008 and wanted to try another purple sweet potato recipe. So when Gourmet Pigs requested candied yams, which I scoffed at, and suggested making it with purple sweet potatoes, Candied Okinawan Purple Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallow Topping, I was totally on board. How did this not occur to me before?

Happy Thanksgiving 10

I also made a Okinawan Purple Sweet Potato Pie.

Happy Thanksgiving 11

Ready to dig in?

Happy Thanksgiving 12

A little of everything on my plate. The middle '87 brought homemade green bean casserole.

Happy Thanksgiving 13

Evening lighting was really bad and this was my best attempt to capture the purple of the Okinawan purple sweet potato pie. I still need to tweak with the recipe because this was a little more dense than I'd like.

Happy Thanksgiving 14

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope you're surrounded with family and friends and loved ones.

New recipes served this Thanksgiving:
Brussels Sprouts Sauteed with Bacon
Candied Okinawan Purple Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallow Topping
Corn Sauteed with Bacon and Green Onions
Gan Xay Ga Tay (Vietnamese Turkey Liver Pate)
Italian Baked Ziti with Ground Turkey, Sausage, and Zucchini
South African Turkey Rub with Basil, Garlic, and Smoked Paprika

*****
1 year ago today,
2 years ago today,
3 years ago today, Orange Juice Brown Sugar Turkey Brine.
4 years ago today, The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens (Rose Garden) (Spring) - San Marino.
5 years ago today, the best turkey recipe ever -- Salt Rub and Butter Turkey.
6 years ago today, Pumpkin Cream Penne with Italian Sausage.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I LOVE this! And what a feast.

    My favorite uncle always requested sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top for Thanksgiving. My father made fun of it but as it was Thanksgiving, my mom simply made multiple sweet potato dishes so that everyone could have what they liked.

    Oh I wish we'd had purple sweet potatoes back then. It would have given my uncle what he wanted and yet been sophisticated enough to shut down the doubters : )

    Congrats on your new digs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - we did our traditional when in LA Thanksgivng meal today - dim sum.

    Yummy as usual but, what the hey? Almond Buns? When the heck diid they show up?! DIVINE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddlyme,
    Happy Thanksgiving! I don't know why it didn't occur to me to make candied purple sweet potatoes before! Seems like a given since that's such a popular Thanksgiving side dish. Too bad my photos were so blurry and dark, but what can I say, I had 20 hungry guests and wasn't going to fuss about plating and lighting.

    I don't think I've had almond buns before. Or I might have, if I saw a picture since there are still so many dim sum dishes I don't know the name of, but know them on sight.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!