Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chimichurri (Argentinian Green Sauce)

Argentinian Chimichurri Sauce 1


Gosh! How old has this been sitting in the queue. July 2008!

No story. Just a recipe I've played around with through the years for when I want something to dip my steak into. I like curly parsley for this, but flat-leaf parsley works well too. Normally a diced red bell pepper is used, but I didn't have any on hand and figured a carrot would break the color green a bit. I just like how the greenness of it makes me feel like I'm getting my vegetables, even when I'm eating a steak.

Chimichurri works with grilled chicken too. Or grilled vegetables. This recipe makes quite a bit, so dip it into anything you want. :)


Argentinian Chimichurri Sauce 2


Chimichurri (Argentinian Green Sauce)

You'll need:
1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
1 scallion, chopped
2 or 3 sprigs mint leaves
1/2 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
1 small carrot, diced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp chili pepper or paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Add all the ingredients into a food processor and puree until the sauce is to your liking. Taste and adjust if necessary.

Serve as a dipping sauce or drizzled over steak.

Enjoy!

Who else made chimichurri?
Kirk of Mmm-yoso added a whole bulb of garlic to his version.
EatingClub Vancouver has an even more simplified recipe.

Other green sauces:
Aji Verde (Peruvian Green Chili Sauce)
Chinese Scallion Cilantro Dipping Sauce
Pesto with Arugula and Walnuts
Pesto with Basil and Walnuts
Salsa Verde with Roasted Tomatillos

*****
1 year ago today, Not Quite Corned Beef and Cabbage Sandwich and Coleslaw.
2 years ago today, celebrate your inner Japanese for St. Patrick's Day by making Okonomiyaki (Japanese Savory Pancake). There's a cute little travel anecdote to go with the story too.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the mention. Hahaha, re since July 2008. At least you've already made the dish but just haven't gotten around to posting. We have a dish that we've been meaning to make since March 2008. I think we win in the procrastination contest. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmhhh!!! so long since i last tried a nice asado with 'chimi'! i got the cravings now =:) the mint sounds like a strange innovation to argentinean ears, though... will try it sometime. We most often do the variation with only chopped onions, red bell pepper, some chilli/paprika, garlic, oil and vinager, we call it 'salsa criolla'. tnxs for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TS,
    Umm, I have far too many dishes I've been meaning to make but haven't gotten around to either. :P

    Chalten,
    Just a few sprigs of mint for freshness, but not too much as to overpower.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!