Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Baked Goat Cheese on Pesto and Tomato Sauce

Baked Goat Cheese on Pesto 1

One of the restaurants I used to frequent in Chicago was Cafe Iberico. The waits were long, sometimes horrendously so, but that was because the tapas were generously-sized and mostly priced between $3 to $5.

The restaurant had a small plate of queso de cabra (Spanish baked goat cheese with fresh tomato basil sauce). The dish only had a few slices of goat cheese though so I've adapted this version to bake the whole goat cheese log. Plenty enough for a party.

I didn't have time to have this with pesto and tomato sauce, so just pesto had to do, but you can certainly add it if you wish. I had blogged the recipe before, but it was added after my recipe for Insalata Caprese (Italian Basil, Mozzarella, and Tomato Salad) so I decided to give the baked goat cheese its own post.

Baked Goat Cheese on Pesto 2

Baked Goat Cheese with Pesto and Tomato Sauce


1 8-oz log goat cheese
1 8-oz can tomato, marinara, or spaghetti sauce
Pesto

Pour tomato sauce into bottom of pan. Pour pesto into the middle. Top with goat cheese.

Cover with foil. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes for goat cheese to soften.

Serve with toasted baguette slices.

Baked Goat Cheese on Pesto 3

And a revisit to December 2006 when I first blogged this recipe.

Eek! Yeah, new photo needed for sure. Still, it was a big hit back then. Previous commentary below.

Baked Goat Cheese with Pesto and Tomato Sauce 1

The ideal slice includes a little bit of tomato sauce, a little bit of pesto, a little bit of goat cheese all smeared together. The pesto and tomato sauce tempers the flavor of goat cheese, which can be overpowering for some people.

This was quite a hit. When we went through two loaves of baguettes, we switched to Middle Eastern flatbread and it was still good.

Baked Goat Cheese with Pesto and Tomato Sauce 2

Enjoy!

Hopefully this will tide you over, as it did my guests, while I quickly assembled the rest of our dinner.

Other recipes served at this meal:
Sup Ca Chua Dau Xanh (Vietnamese Green Bean and Tomato Egg Drop Soup)
Bo Nuong La Lot (Vietnamese Grilled Beef with Wild Betel Leaves)
Nem Nuong Xa (Vietnamese Lemongrass Grilled Pork Patties)
Nai Luc Lac (Vietnamese Shaking Venison)

*****
1 year ago today, apple butter from Open Mouth, Insert Fork.
2 years ago today, best of 2007 recipes from ca phe sua da (Vietnamese iced milk coffee) to Cuban lemon roast chicken.
3 years ago today, I was in awe of the pizza tossing at Lanesplitter Pizza and Pub - Berkeley.

7 comments:

  1. YUM!!!!!!!

    WOW. im a foodie and this just adds a little "pazazz" to my bland bruschetta recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I have not had goat cheese in such a large log before.

    This time, I do agree that the old photo was not as good due to the white balance setting and lack of light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this.

    I also love looking at my old photos. They make me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely have to try to make this recipe sometime. It looks soo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divine Bunny,
    I've done crostinis where I just had various kinds of spreads like this and bruschetta and let people pile on their own. They're great as appetizers for parties.

    ETE,
    The old photos are always horrible! I laugh when I see them!

    Weezer Monkey,
    And yet we still kept blogging away anyway!

    Diana,
    It's very simple too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! I just tried your recipe and my whole family loved it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean,
    Wow! That was quick! So glad to know your whole family liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!