Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon)

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 1

After dinner at Da Nang Com Tam Tran Qui Cap - Westminster (Little Saigon), my friend Ivan and I went across the street for dessert. Actually, I was heading toward TeaZone Lollicup - Westminster (Little Saigon) for their matcha green tea snow bubble when we spied this crowd from across the street.

Ah! So that's where Snow Monster is located! In February 2013, I received an email from someone from Snow Monster who mentioned that she was a fan of the blog "for many years now" and inviting me to try a "fairly new dessert called Taiwanese shaved snow."

"Fairly new"? Really? Because I first blogged about shaved snow back in 2007. She wasn't sure if I had "tried or heard about it." I think I have when I've blogged about shaved snow not once, but twice, thrice, and a fourth time.

Look, I don't expect everyone to remember every blog entry I've ever written, but I do clearly state on my contact page to use my searchbar before emailing me. Don't pretend to be a fan or try to sell your product as something I don't know about when I've blogged about it multiple times and years ago. A simple search before contacting me would have cleared that up. She offered a large shaved snow and a Belgian waffle sundae, and asked that if I had anything negative to say to tell them in person. And to blog within two weeks after my visit. Geez, I can buy my own shaved snow, thank you very much! Pet peeves aside, at least the Snow Monster name was now on my radar?

Anyway, I wasn't going to hold that minor annoyance against them, especially since shaved snow sounded like just the thing on a hot summer evening.



So while my friend managed to snag a table outside, I went in to check out the offerings. Ivan just wanted shaved snow and a milk tea, but I was eying the giant macarons.

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 2

The cereal and cookie flavors didn't appeal to me, but churro macaron sounded pretty good!

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 3

Ivan wanted mango shaved snow and mochi and strawberries for toppings. I've been known to order mangoes on top of mango shaved snow, but I figured the strawberries would make a better color contrast.

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 4

Since we weren't going out for green tea slushies after all, I got it as shaved snow.

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 5

The large two topping shaved snow with two flavors and two toppings and a choice of condensed milk, caramel, or chocolate drizzle was $8. Regular size is $6.

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 6

I couldn't resist getting a giant macaron ice cream sandwich, $4. Churro macaron with taro ice cream sandwich.

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 7

You can compare its size with my friend's giant cup of hot milk tea, $3. The macaron was large enough to share and we were both pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 8

The shaved snow, however, did not compare to San Gabriel Valley versions. I don't know if you can tell in the picture, but the snow got compacted and icy after only 10 minutes. I mean, flavored ice is always good on a hot summer evening, but for that price point, the shaved snow should be like shaved snow and not shaved ice.

Snow Monster - Westminster (Little Saigon) 9

But then, there aren't that many dessert options in the middle of Little Saigon, and not that many late night options. As you can tell by the crowd, Snow Monster has quite the market for a while. I thought of how long it took boba drinks to make its way down south and a little under a decade seems about right. So prepare for the shaved snow market to start getting a little more crowded.

Other shaved snow and shaved ice places:
Class 302 Taiwanese Cuisine - Rowland Heights
ID Cha House - San Gabriel
Kang Kang Food Court - Alhambra
PaPa Walk - San Gabriel
Salju Dessert - Alhambra

Snow Monster
9600 Bolsa Ave.
Westminster, CA 92683
714-584-9470
12 p.m. to 12 a.m.

*****
1 year ago today, AltaMed's 8th Annual East LA Meets Napa & Beyond (Union Station) - Los Angeles.
2 years ago today,
3 years ago today, Lil' Sis' Favorite Things quilt.
4 years ago today,
5 years ago today, Tra Xa (Vietnamese Lemongrass Tea).
6 years ago today, Mi Hoanh Thanh (Vietnamese Wonton Noodle Soup).
7 years ago today, The Boiling Crab - Alhambra (Valley Blvd.).

2 comments:

  1. Yah, I know how you feel. I get recruiter emails that sound like they're coming from a real person until it's pretty clear it's some robot that hasn't read anything on my profile. On the other hand, the macarons look quite tasty! Were they unfilled? And then you pick an ice cream for a sandwich?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki,
    I'm used to robot-like PR emails or even completely unrelated shill, but I think they're too small for that. She just hit one of my major pet peeves - not reading/not searching for the answer before contacting me.

    But yes, choose a flavor of macaron and choose a flavor of ice cream. The macaron was pretty light and just chewy enough, without being gummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!