Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, July 04, 2014

Red, White, and Blue Sangria

Red, White, and Blue White Wine Sangria 1

With temperatures hovering above 90 degrees for most of the week, I really wasn't in the mood for cooking, much less baking. I debated whether to make something to bring to Johannes' third birthday party, and while blogging the Red (Lingonberry), White (Brie), and Blue(berry) Puff Pastry Mini Tarts I made the previous year, got me thinking about what else I could with patriotic colors. I'd have to run to the store for strawberries and blueberries though and was feeling decidedly lazy. Plus, the party was in the early afternoon; too early to start drinking perhaps? It was just as well I came empty-handed as my cousin ordered quite the Armenian spread.

I couldn't get the thought of a red, white, and blue sangria out of my head so afterward, I stopped at the store to get the needed strawberries and blueberries. My neighbors invited me to a barbecue later that day and a pitcher of sangria was just right for sipping beside the pool.

Of course, you're not limited to strawberries for the red, watermelon or raspberries would work too. I used a pear and an apple for the white. And there's really few other readily available substitutes for blueberries, but if you can get your hands on some huckleberries or salal berries or Oregon grapes, those would work too.

Red, White, and Blue White Wine Sangria 2

Red, White, and Blue Sangria

For a large pitcher, you'll need:
1 bottle white wine
1 tblsp sugar
1 apple or pear, peeled and diced
1 cup strawberries, quartered
1/2 cup blueberries
2 12-oz cans 7-Up or Sprite

I used a cheap bottle of chardonnay, but any white wine of your choice will do. Add 1 tblsp of sugar and stir.

Then peel an apple or pear and dice. Add to the pitcher. You want to start with the harder fruits since they'll stay firmer in the wine.

Remove the tops and quarter about 1 cup of strawberries. Add to the pitcher.

Add about 1/2 a cup of blueberries to the pitcher.

Then add two 12-oz cans of 7-Up.

Refrigerate before serving or pour over ice.

Red, White, and Blue White Wine Sangria 3

I tried to keep my fruit layered for a striped effect.

Red, White, and Blue White Wine Sangria 4

Look at all that gorgeous fruit.

Red, White, and Blue White Wine Sangria 5

After snapping the photos, I went next door to share with my neighbors.

Red, White, and Blue White Wine Sangria 6

Would you like a glass?

Red, White, and Blue White Wine Sangria 7

Bonus picture of the birthday boy earlier that day. I'm amused that the first or second birthdays are elaborate with decorated cakes and themes and a mountain of food. Then by the time they turn three, parents are tired and catering and store-bought cakes or cheesecakes are good enough. And it is! The food was delicious and parents really don't need excuses to make it easier for themselves.

Johannes 3rd Birthday

Happy Independence Day everyone!

Other sangria recipes:
Sangria with Red Wine
Sangria with White Wine

*****
1 year ago today, Red (Lingonberry), White (Brie), and Blue(berry) Puff Pastry Mini Tarts.
2 years ago today,
3 years ago today,
4 years ago today,
5 years ago today, La Boulange Cafe & Bakery - San Francisco (Cow Hollow).
6 years ago today, Independence Day barbeque.
7 years ago today, guess where I've been?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!