Sunday, November 01, 2009

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies

I've said before that I am very boring when it comes to cookies. I take the basic Nestle Toll House dough, decrease the sugar, and add in variations. In this case, leftover candy. I call these my everything but the kitchen sink cookies because it's a good time to clear out the pantry of leftover candy, nuts, dried fruit, and coconut flakes.


Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies 1


Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies
Adapted from the Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

For 3 dozen cookies, you'll need:
2 1/4 cups flour (Sometimes I do half white and half whole wheat flour if I'm feeling healthy.)
2 eggs
2 sticks or 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup leftover Halloween or Christmas chocolate
1 cup oats

Optional: If you have extra nuts or dried cranberries or raisins, toss them all in. Just make sure to keep the extras to no more than about 2 cups total, chocolate and oatmeal included.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

I had tons of candy with just small bits of everything so I tossed in a few Aero bubbles from the stash of British treats that Oanh of Unique Schmuck sent me, chocolate-covered raisins from Xinjiang, China that my brother gave me, walnuts, old Christmas chocolate chips, toasted coconut flakes, Easter chocolate eggs, and Halloween leftovers. I should probably note that this photo was taken last year. Just so you don't think I keep around candy thaaat long.


Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies 2


Of course, the first thing to do is to chop up the bigger pieces of candy into smaller uniform pieces.


Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies 3


The butter must be softened at room temperature for ideal texture. Cream 2 sticks butter with 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Beat in 2 eggs, 1 egg at a time.

Add 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt and beat again. Add 1 cup of leftover chocolate candy, raisins, nuts, coconut flakes, and 1 cup oats and mix by hand with a wooden spoon. The oats make it that much healthier. ;)


Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies 4


Spoon 2-inch balls onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes.


Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies 5


I like my cookies soft and chewy, so I remove them from the oven when the centers are slightly undone. Use a spatula to remove the cookies onto a cooling rack.

Eat right away for soft and gooey chocolate cookies, or save for later when the cookies will be soft and chewy.

Enjoy!

My other cookie recipes:
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Chocolate Ginger Cookies So Easy Even a 2-year-old Can Make Them
Meyer Lemon Shortbread Bars
Shortbread Cookies with Brown Sugar
Shortbread Cookies with Lavender
Slightly Spiced (Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg) Molasses Cookies

*****
1 year ago today, Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cranberry/Pumpkin Butter/Walnut Filling and Maple Icing.
2 years ago today, my adventures in bread baking.
3 years ago today, I started crocheting a scarf that still isn't completed.

6 comments:

  1. Now you know this is going to appeal to a woman whose children grew up eating "garbage" pizza. I love your recipe. Waste not, want not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of scared of these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look quite interesting! I think I would like them other than the fact with the greenish/reddish candies which I do not know what they are at all. But cookies with all the chocolate candies and nuts? Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your name for these cookies! From the sounds of it, we've got enough of everything but the kitchen sink to throw into a batch ourselves ...! ~ Belle

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really clever! colourful and great use of leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary,
    Haha. Lanesplitter Pizza in Berkeley has a pie called "Garbage pizza" and it's pretty awesome.

    Weezer Monkey,
    Nothing scary. Just chocolate of various flavors.

    ETE,
    Holiday white chocolate chips. I said I was cleaning out the pantry. :P

    Muse in the Kitchen,
    Exactly! ;)

    Wiffy,
    Just trying to use up everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!