Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown)

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 1

I had driven past Hong Galbi BBQ House many times and mentally made a note to check it out some day. So, when Jin of Seeking Food uploaded some yummy-looking pictures of Korean pork ribs, I insisted we go for lunch next time she had a craving. This was not one of the ubiquitous all-you-can-eat Korean barbecue restaurants dotting Koreatown. Not that there's anything wrong with that; as you know, I'm a frequent customer at such establishments.

Hong Galbi BBQ House specializes in broiled pork ribs. Lunch specials feature the ribs with rice pots or stew for about $30. Not all-you-can-eat prices, but enough to feed two people so it evens out.

We started off with the complimentary panchan (Korean side dishes) of Kimchi Pajeon (Korean Pickled Napa Cabbage Pancake).

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 2

Salad.

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 3

Oi Kimchi (Korean Pickled Cucumbers) with some Dubu Chorim (Korean Fried Tofu with Soy Sauce) and a few other dishes in the back.

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 4

Since we were getting pork ribs, I suggested getting some other meats to balance that out. Bulgogi pot, $9, Korean Beef Bulgogi with rice in hot stone pot. Simple, but delicious beef and rice bowl.

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 5

The house specialty, Hong Galbi pork ribs, $18, broiled pork ribs with specially marinated sauce, which tasted like Daeji Bulgogi (Korean Spicy Pork) to me. The ribs were sticky, spicy, delicious.

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 6

Here's another shot of the lovely sizzling plate.

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 7

We also ordered the Squid pot, $9, spicy squid with rice in a stone bowl.

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 8

The waitress mixed up the squid stone pot for us when she brought it out.

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 9

The restaurant was fairly small and not too-packed during lunchtime so Jin and I were able to linger and catch up. She told me her sister-in-law got her hooked on, "My Love From Another Star," a Korean drama about an alien who crash-landed on Earth 400 years ago and fell in love with an actress several months before he's supposed to return home. Apparently, the drama stars her favorite actress, Jun Ji Hyun, of "My Sassy Girl" fame. I dunno? I love story about an alien and an actress? Whose previous movie I wasn't a fan of? Which reminded me of a video I saw on YouTube way back when of another Korean drama, but all I could remember was the actress in tears while chasing after his bus. Maybe I should hunt that one down first before watching a love story about aliens?

In chatting about other things, we got to talking about Korean rice cakes and I mentioned a place in Koreatown that I had been wanting to try. So we asked for our check, got complimentary slices of plums for dessert, and continued our conversation at Meedo Dduk Cafe - Los Angeles (Koreatown).

Hong Galbi BBQ House - Los Angeles (Koreatown) 10

Other Korean restaurant posts:
Chung Kiwa Korean BBQ Restaurant - Los Angeles (Koreatown)
Gui Il Bun Ji BBQ Restaurant - Los Angeles (Koreatown)
Hae Jang Chon Korean BBQ Restaurant - Los Angeles (Koreatown)  
Hwang Hae Do Korean BBQ - Artesia
Ong Ga Nae Korean BBQ - Rowland Heights
Seol Ak San - Stanton

Hong Galbi BBQ House
3132 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90006
323-734-2577
Monday to Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday Closed

*****
1 year ago today,
2 years ago today,
3 years ago today,
4 years ago today, How to Make Pan Gravy.
5 years ago today, Imperial Tea Court (Ferry Building) - San Francisco (Embarcadero).
6 years ago today, Insalata Caprese Sandwich.
7 years ago today, Tim Tams - chocolate on chocolate on chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!