Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Potbelly Sandwich Shop (SW 6th Ave.) - Portland - Oregon

1 Potbelly Sandwich Shop (SW 6th Ave.) - Portland - Oregon 1

My dad's been down in SoCal for the past few weeks working on the house so I thought I'd go home and and surprise my mom. A few days before, one of my childhood friends checked into Potbelly Sandwich Shop on Facebook. What?! There's a Potbelly now in Oregon?! I was all over that.

A few years ago when I was in Washington, D.C. and stumbled upon a Potbelly, I literally jumped for joy. Mmm. A Wreck with extra peppers. One of the things I missed about living in Chicago and in which I indulged in regularly the summer I lived in Madison, Wisconsin. It's pretty funny to see the Yelp page littered with Midwest transplants all waxing nostalgic too.

But first, there was pie. Mmm. Pie.

After oldest and second-oldest nephews and oldest nephew's best friend picked me up from the airport, we immediately headed to Random Order Coffeehouse and Bakery for pie. From top left, pecan bourbon, Oregon cherry, pear chocolate, apple blackberry, and the BEST banana cream pie EVER in the middle. Everyone agreed. Oldest nephew's friend was in town for the holidays and joined us and she too agreed. Second-youngest nephew joined us later and he agreed. And ordered a slice of peach pie.

2 Random Order Coffeehouse and Bakery - Portland - Oregon

While pie was good and all, I mentioned craving Potbelly ever since finding out it opened in Oregon. Only open a few months actually. Then everyone wanted Potbelly too! Oldest nephew called the shop and found out it was open, but closing early because business was really slow on the New Year. So he placed a pick-up order, we finished our pie, ordered a few more to-go, and made our way over.

Potbelly is on the southeast corner of Pioneer Courthouse Square, an easy to find location if you can find parking and don't get turned around by all the one ways downtown. Seeing the jars of pickled peppers makes me so happy.

1 Potbelly Sandwich Shop (SW 6th Ave.) - Portland - Oregon 2

I split half of two sandwiches with second-oldest nephew. A Wreck features salami, roast beef, turkey, ham, and Swiss cheese. There's a choice of white or wheat bun. I always get everything with extra peppers.

1 Potbelly Sandwich Shop (SW 6th Ave.) - Portland - Oregon 3

The Italian features capicola, mortadella, pepperoni, salami, and provolone cheese.

1 Potbelly Sandwich Shop (SW 6th Ave.) - Portland - Oregon 4

Toasted too, of course.

Oldest nephew asked for the peppers on the side, but I prefer them inside the sandwich, even if it does get a bit soggy. Sooo good. We had to ask for extra to-go because all of us are chileheads.

1 Potbelly Sandwich Shop (SW 6th Ave.) - Portland - Oregon 5

Thanks oldest nephew for the pie and Potbelly. My tummy was sooo happy. What a great start to the year.

On the way back to the car, I made them all take pictures with me.

3 Pioneer Courthouse Square - Portland - Oregon

Happy New Year from me and the nephews!

When they dropped me off, I called my mom before ringing the doorbell.

"What are you doing, mom?"

"Oh, same thing," she says. That means watching Korean dramas dubbed into Vietnamese on her ipad. "Hold on. Someone's at the door."

"Who would ring the doorbell at this hour?" :)

All Oregon posts can be found with the tag Series: Oregon, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
Potbelly Sandwich Shop (SW 6th Ave.) - Portland - Oregon


Potbelly Sandwich Shop (Various locations)
802 SW 6th Ave.
Portland, OR 97204
971-202-5015
Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

*****
1 year ago today, Banh Bot Khoai Mon Chien Xao Cai Xoan (Vietnamese Fried Taro Rice Cake Stir-Fried with Kale).
2 years ago today, Capital Seafood Chinese Restaurant (Dim Sum) - Monterey Park.
3 years ago today, Canh O/Kho Qua Nhoi Thit (Vietnamese Stuffed Bitter Melon Soup).
4 years ago today, Pearl Chinese Cuisine (Wedding Banquet) - San Diego.
5 years ago today, Tasty - San Gabriel.
6 years ago today, people exercising around Ho Hoan Kiem (Returned Sword Lake) in Hanoi, Vietnam.

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome surprise! And those sandwiches sound/look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I bet your mom was happy to see you!

    What a great pie selection from Random Order. I wanted to go there my last trip but that'll have to be for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrapper Al,
    My sister and I did it once before and that time, my parents looked so confused. It was fun! It's all about the Potbelly pickled peppers!

    CC,
    I'm making it a point to hit up Random Order as often as I can each time I'm home now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!