Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra

Literally around the corner from Silver Spoon is Indo Kitchen.

Earlier this summer when I grabbed food from their stall at Alhambra's Summer Jubilee, and after much urging from Elmo Monster and Mochachocolata-Rita, I decided I really needed to dine here soon.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 1

So a few months back, I convinced my brother to try Indonesian food with me. A long, long time ago, this location used to be a Chinese restaurant. According to their website, Indo Kitchen opened in March 2003 and serves Indonesian cuisine with a Javanese influence. It's a very small location, with only a handful of tables. This was in the late afternoon, so there were only a few other diners.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 2

I ordered an es cendol (Indonesian mung bean jelly in palm sugar and coconut milk) for $2.99.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 3

I thought this would be like che ba mau (Vietnamese three-color pudding). Instead it was a drink with a few pieces of jelly. I didn't care for the taste of the overly burnt palm sugar. Even after mixing up the drink, the burnt sugar taste was too overpowering.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 4

We ordered the sate padang lontong (Padang-style tongue and beef satay skewers with rice patties) for $6.50. The beef and tongue were both too dry for my liking. Can any of my Indonesian readers identify the yellow sauce? I can't really remember if it had a taste and after cooling down, it quickly became thick and goopy. My favorite part were the rice patties. Maybe it's because they reminded me of Vietnamese rice balls, which I haven't eaten in years. The lontong were soft and springy without being mushy or sticky.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 5

Now, I don't often mention service at mom and pop restaurants unless something really stands out. In this case, we also ordered the nasi rames pandang (Indonesian rice plate with beef rendang, chili, egg, curry vegetables, and fried mashed potato). Then after getting my drink, we waited and waited. I saw two other tables, that came in after us, get their orders first. Then the waitress came to say they ran out of beef rendang and asked if we wanted to order something else. It took them 15 minutes to figure out that they didn't have something? And we still hadn't even gotten our appetizer at this point. She suggested we order the nasi ayam bumbu and sayur asem (Indonesian fried chicken with rice and tamarind soup) for $5.99. Since that's what the other tables had, I figured I should order it so that the plate would come out quickly.

The tamarind soup was strong in both tamarind and belacan (shrimp paste) flavors. Indonesian cuisine with its strong use of spices, belacan, and kecap manis (Indonesian thick sweet soy sauce) can be a bit bold in flavors if you're not used to it.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 6

Indonesian fried chicken is cooked twice -- boiled with spices and then deep-fried. The double cooking process means that if prepared improperly the chicken can be dry and tough. Luckily the fried chicken here was moist and succulent on the inside, with a lovely crispy skin.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 7

Cecil of Food Craze has recipes for sayur asem and Indonesian fried chicken if you'd like to make these dishes at home.

I liked the pureed chili sauce and kecap manis chili sauce. The belacan chili sauce was too salty for me.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 8

After seeing the mention of Indo Kitchen in my Summer Jubilee post, long-time reader Fkbloona said she wanted to take me here if I hadn't tried it yet. She said she eats here quite often so I was eager to try it again with someone who could lead me to various items on the menu. She brought along a friend who turned out to be a WC reader too.

This time I ordered soda gembira (Happy milk soda with syrup and condensed milk) for $2.25. Mmm. Can't go wrong with condensed milk!

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 9

I let Fkbloona do all the ordering. I'm guessing what these dishes are based upon the menu descriptions. Correct me if I'm wrong please!

We started with nasi goreng ikan asin (Indonesian salted fish fried rice topped with fried egg) for $5.99. This tasted similar to the Chinese version that I like, except with more kecap manis. The taste is like what it sounds, with salty fish. The salty fish isn't quite like anchovies, although similar in terms of saltiness. So if you don't like salty fish, this dish may not be for you.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 10

I think this was the nasi empal dan sayur asem (Indonesian seasoned fried beef with rice and tamarind soup) for $6.50. The beef was redolent with lemongrass and coconut and spices, and incredibly tender.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 11

Fkbloona said she often orders the gulai kambing (Indonesian goat curry) for $5.99 because she doesn't make this at home.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 12

The goat was very tender and not too gamey at all. There were lots of very lethal chopped chilies scattered throughout the bowl so beware when you eat this.

Cecil of Food Craze also has a goat curry recipe she recently submitted to Weekend Wokking. I think it's great that I'm learning about Indonesian cuisine from readers and bloggers. Who knows? I may eventually venture into trying to cook something.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 13

Ati and ampla goreng (Indonesian fried chicken livers and gizzards) for $2.99. These seemed to have similar flavors as the fried beef. I liked the gizzards, never been a fan of liver, however.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 14

Pempek telor palembang (Indonesian fish cake with whole egg) for $4.99. The flavor of the fish cake was good, but it was quite rubbery.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 15

We finished off our meal with cheese crackers that Fkbloona had purchased from the deli case by the counter.

Indo Kitchen - Alhambra 16

And then, not only had Fkbloona invited me out for dinner, she insisted on paying for it too. Do I have the greatest readers or what? Thanks again for dinner lady! Next time's on me!

Overall, I liked most of the food that I tried. And at $6 to $7 for most dishes, Indo Kitchen is an inexpensive option to explore Indonesian cuisine.

Who else ate at Indo Kitchen?
Elmo of Monster Munching tried the combination rice plate, satay, and a colorful ice mix dessert.
Pleasure Palate tried 14 dishes and said almost everything was wonderful.

Indo Kitchen
5 N. Fourth St.
Alhambra, CA 91801
626-282-1676
Sunday to Thursday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to 10 p.

*****
1 year ago today, Albalu Polow (Persian Sour Cherry Rice).

9 comments:

  1. I've never been to that restaurant (I live in Canada). But the yellow sauce on the lontong dish is supposed to be peanut sauce (I think), but I don't know why it's yellow on that one. The rest of the menu items look delicious though, especially the ayam goreng (in general) which is my favorite of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. luv0food is right, that sauce should be peanut sauce (sambal kacang). It's yellow probably because of turmeric. There are different styles of peanut sauce throughout Indonesia. The one that I had at the same restaurant was darker and drizzled with kecap manis...I think that was for the chicken satay.

    I was so excited to see that you finally tried Indo Kitchen...and although it wasn't a complete hit, I still appreciate the way you described your experience.

    The gule kambing looks awesome. One of faves (well my mom's version anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gowd! The sight of gulai kambing makes my knees weak lol.

    Too bad the sate padang didn't work for ya. Based on my experience trying Indonesian food overseas, I noticed that Indo restaurants outside Indonesia hardly make any successful sate.

    They are either too dry, or deep fried instead of charcoal grilled. In Indo, the street vendors serve the best sate! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sate looked sooo dry! I like Indonesian food but am not the adventurous kind so i tend to stick fried chic (ayam penyek) and bakso (meatball noodle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is it possible to see that much delicious food at once?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with papa2hapa--you really had a lot of Indonesian food that day. I miss the variety of restaurants that So. Cal. offers, I am so glad that you and Elmo take me there to experience the deliciousness. So I am assuming that you'll be making goat curry soon on WC? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. luv0food,
    You know, I really can't remember if it tasted like peanut sauce or not!

    Elmo,
    I liked the majority of the dishes. :) Everything did taste very "homey."

    MCR,
    I bet! My Indonesian cookbook has a photo of fish paste wrapped around lemongrass and grilled over coconut husks. Oh man did that photo look good!

    PP,
    It was and I'm usually a big fan of tongue too. I've had one bad version of the chicken were it was incredibly dry too. Luckily they made it really good here, crispy outside and moist inside.

    Papa2Hapa,
    Haha! Stick around. You ain't seen nothin' yet. ;)

    PE,
    Ha! Goat curry is out of my ball park. I was thinking fried rice or fried chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Sate Padang looks so dry. Sate padang sauce doesn't use peanut as the Javanese version of sate. The ingredients are quite rich with rempah (spices), such as
    turmeric
    turmeric leaves
    ginger
    coriander
    cumin
    kaffir lime leaves
    galangal
    chili
    lemon grass
    coconut milk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indonesia-Eats,
    This sate padang didn't taste of peanut. Others have said they thought there was turmeric in the sauce as well. I didn't realize there were so many other spices in it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!