Saturday, August 16, 2008

Chinese Eggplant Salad

Chinese Eggplant Salad 6

Eggplants are just so vibrantly purple. The only problem is that they cook up gray and mushy. :( But that's OK, I can work with that.

This recipe was something quick and easy that I threw together while I was preparing the other eggplant for another dish. I'm not even sure if it's really Chinese except that I dressed it simply with Chinese ingredients - a few drizzles of soy sauce, Chinese black vinegar, and sesame oil. It's probably more of a side dish than a salad, but Chinese eggplant side dish doesn't sound very appealing. So Chinese eggplant salad it is.

Aubergines for my Brit and Aussie readers. :)

Chinese Eggplant Salad 1

Chinese Eggplant Salad

You'll need:
1 Japanese eggplant
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp Chinese black vinegar, or any vinegar of your choice
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sesame seeds

Cut off stem. Prick the eggplant all over with a fork.

Chinese Eggplant Salad 2

Steam for about 15 minutes, or longer if you want the eggplant extra soft. My bamboo steamer has two layers, can you guess what else I'm making?

Chinese Eggplant Salad 3

See? Grey and mushy.

Chinese Eggplant Salad 4

Peel off the skin and toss. Tear the rest of the eggplant into strips.

Chinese Eggplant Salad 5

Lay the strips into a bowl. Add about 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp Chinese black vinegar, and 1 tsp sesame oil. Sprinkle about 1/2 tsp sesame seeds.

Chinese Eggplant Salad 6

Serve it slightly warm with rice, or cold as a simple salad.


I'm submitting this recipe to No Croutons Required, a food blogging event alternately hosted by Lisa's Kitchen and Tinned Tomatoes, celebrating vegetarian soups and salads.

The challenge this month is to make a dressing.

1 year ago today, Frijoles Negros (Cuban Black Beans).


  1. whoa! simple but tasty idea!

    i've grown to love eggplants now...i used to haaaaate it before

  2. U always make dishes like that look so easy. I'm not a big fan of this salad but I do appreciate reading the step by step instructions to know how it is being made.

  3. I rarely eat eggplant, but this sounds like a fine way to enjoy it. Thanks for participating this month!

  4. I've made this once and absolutely loved it. Isn't it one of the Korean banchans as well?

  5. MCR,
    I think eggplants are an acquired taste for many people.

    Haha. You don't have to like everything I post about. :P

    Thanks for getting me to eat more vegetables! :)

    I've never had it with panchan. The dressing is similar to most of the panchan I've made though.

  6. I bet it tastes fabulous, even if it isn't the best colour!
    Thanks for submitting your dressing to No Croutons Required. Good Luck :)

  7. Holler,
    It was so hard to make grey look appetizing! :P


Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!