Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, May 12, 2008

Steamed Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) with Oyster Sauce

To go along with my simply Soy Sauce-Steamed Chicken Wings, I tucked in a few gai lan (Chinese broccoli) to steam. Yup, this is usually the sole green I get at dim sum restaurants. Gai lan, sometimes spelled kai/cai lan, is a slightly bitter vegetable with edible stems, leaves, and flowers. Use it as you would regular broccoli - steamed, stir-fried, or boiled.

Steamed Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) with Oyster Sauce
 

 Steamed Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli) with Oyster Sauce

You'll need:
As much gai lan as you'd like
Oyster sauce, to taste

Chop off the bottom inch or so of stems. If the stems are particularly fibrous, you might want to peel the outer layer as well.

Wash gai lan.

Steam for 10 to 15 minutes until tender-crisp.

Serve with a light drizzle of oyster sauce. Oyster sauce is extremely salty so a little goes a long way.

Enjoy!

Other gai lan recipes:
Fried Rice Yang Chow-Style
Pad See-Ew (Thai Rice Noodles with Soy Sauce, Broccoli, Chicken, and Eggs)

*****
1 year ago today, leeks from my garden went into a Tortilla de Patatas (Spanish Potato Omelet).

8 comments:

  1. Yum!

    Thanks for all the steaming recipes...such a healthy way to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By any chance, you planted those kailan? Hehehe.

    I love kailan especially when they are cooked just right. Sweet and crunchy stems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie,
    Ha! They're my lazy blogging recipes. ;)

    PP,
    No. I don't have that much of a green thumb.

    Kevin,
    Sometimes simple is best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had this for dinner tonight. it was great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GMM,
    Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this quick recipe! I found some chinese broccoli at the store and wasn't sure what to do with it...this is really helpful! Looks delicious, this is also one of my favorites at dim sum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,
    I can't believe the prices they charge for this at dim sum! Far cheaper to make your own.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!