Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Papaya Trees

My oldest uncle's papaya trees. Pretty cool huh?
Papaya Trees 1
Papaya Trees 2
Papaya Trees 3
My aunt saw me snapping photos and asked if I wanted to cut one down. I said it's OK, they weren't ripe yet. A few days later, I got a little baggy of ripe papaya. She said they weren't very sweet but they tasted perfect to me. Of course, I can easily eat a whole papaya by myself (and have!). :P
Papaya Trees 4
You can use ripe papaya in my sweet, sour, salty, spicy tropical fruit salad. And green papaya, of course, goes in Goi Du Du Kho Bo (Vietnamese Papaya Salad with Beef Jerky). You can see what else my uncles grow in Garden Updates. ***** 1 year ago today, leftover citrus baked chicken became chicken and dumplings.

6 comments:

  1. Oh these papayas are big and round vs those I have seen often in SE Asia, big but more oval and longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking up into papaya trees and see the fruit clustered at the top. How cool that your uncle grows papaya. Is this the same uncle that also has meyer lemons? What a fantastic garden he must have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm really jealous now! Fresh papaya off the tree! We killed both our trees, but will try again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phuong say's she grows this tree too, but it doesn't fruit yet. She says she's jealous too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tigerfishy,
    The Asian papayas I've seen are a lot smaller, but just as tasty.

    Christine,
    Different uncle. Papaya trees are my oldest uncle. Meyer lemons are my youngest uncle. You ain't seen nothing yet. :)

    Jeannie,
    MMMhmmm.

    WoRC,
    Oh man! And I thought ya'll had such green thumbs. Perhaps you should try growing teeny tiny papayas?

    Tell Phuong they're my uncle's trees so I'm jealous too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!