Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Monday, October 30, 2006

Sour Cream Apple Pie

Sour Cream Apple Pie 1

I had a couple of red delicious apples that had gotten a bit mushy. Bought some gala apples on sale. So I got inspired to try this recipe from Alicia of Posie Gets Cozy. My version looks enough like hers that I think I did it right.

Unfortunately, instead of the one hour to 1 1/4 hours it was supposed to bake for, it was closer to two hours. My sister said the pie smelled delicious and was golden brown. I thought she turned off the oven. She hadn't. Still, it wasn't dried out or anything. The sugary top looks burnt but just tastes crunchy. The inside isn't the cinnamony carmelized consistency I generally think of and like about apple pie. It's good for a change of pace from traditional apple pie though.



Sour Cream Apple Pie 2

Sour Cream Apple Pie
Adapted from Alicia of Posie Gets Cozy

For one deep-dish 10-inch pie, you'll need:
1 pie crust per my recipe for cherry pie or store-bought pie crust
About 2 to 2 1/2 lbs of apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
8-oz container sour cream
1/2 cup brown sugar, divided into half for filling and for topping
1/2 cup flour, divided into half for filling and for topping 
2 tsp cinnamon, divided into half for filling and for topping
2 tblsp butter, melted

Make the pie crust and set aside.

Peel and slice the apples. Toss with 2 tblsp brown sugar, 2 tblsp flour, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Then mix with sour cream. Fill bottom of pie pan with the apple mixture.

In a bowl, add 2 tblsp brown sugar, 2 tblsp flour, 2 tblsp melted butter, and 1 tsp cinnamon. The mixture should be crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the pie. You can double this part if you want an extra sugary-cinnamony layer on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for an hour to an hour and a half until a knife inserted into center comes out clean.

Enjoy!

My other pie recipes:
Apple Crumble Pie
Cherry Lattice-Crust Pie
Perfectly "Peachy" Nectarine Pie
Pumpkin Pie with Chai Spices

2 comments:

  1. That pie looks rad. Makes me believe it's finally fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathon,
    Even though it's been more than three years, and I'm sure you don't remember leaving this message, I'm going to reply and say, "Thanks!" Because I hate leaving you hanging. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!