Saturday, February 06, 2010

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont 1

Since my friend and I were going to be in the area to check out the Pomona Public Library's annual birthday celebration for Laura Ingalls Wilder, I suggested trying Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant in Claremont. I remembered she once mentioned craving Peruvian roast chicken. I stumbled upon a mention of Pollos KiKiRyKi on David Allen's blog and was intrigued because I've been to the strip mall a time or two and wondered how it escaped my notice.

Why KiKiRyKi?

Apparently, that's the Spanish version of "cock-a-doodle-doo."

It was a rainy day, but the restaurant seemed to be doing brisk business. Everyone was ordering the roast chicken. Of course, we would too, but I also wanted to try some other dishes as well.

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont 2

Order at the counter and find a table. They'll bring the food out to you.

Chicha morada (Peruvian purple corn drink), $2.45. Too overly sweet.

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont 3

We split the Ceviche de pescado (Peruvian fish marinated in lime juice with lettuce, sweet potatoes, and corn), $11.99.

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont 4

Very well done. The two kinds of corn were a nice touch. The fish itself was tender and citrusy. Haven't met a Peruvian ceviche that I didn't like yet.

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont 5

The Aji Verde (Peruvian Green Chili Sauce) was too watery and not spicy at all to me.

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont 6

I ordered the Lomo Saltado (Peruvian Beef Stir-fry with French Fries), $9.99. It was a generous serving and tasted fine, but nothing special.

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont 7

She got half a Peruvian Roast Chicken with a side order of French fries, $8.24. The chicken was alright. I think mine is better. I prefer the cumin-spiced version at Pollo Mania - El Monte. The fries were really blah.

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant - Claremont 8

Most of the customers at Pollos KiKiRyKi ordered the chicken and for that, it seems pretty decent. But if I wanted other Peruvian dishes, especially at those prices, I'd rather go to Inka Trails Restaurant - Claremont for the nicer decor where I could sit and enjoy my meal and much better green sauce.

Other Peruvian restaurants:
Inka Trails Restaurant - Claremont
Pollo Ala Brasa - Los Angeles
Pollo Mania - El Monte

Pollos KiKiRyKi Peruvian Restaurant
344 S. Indian Hill Blvd.
Claremont, CA 91711
Monday to Saturday 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Sun 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.

1 year ago today, Mexican Mole Coloradito.
2 years ago today, 'Twas the night before Tet (Vietnamese Lunar New Year).
3 years ago today, I got sick and made a very plain pot of Chao (Vietnamese Rice Porridge).


  1. My mouth is drooling over here at that chicken! It looks yummy but as you mentioned before, I'm sure yours taste better. I find most places don't even come close to home cooked stuff.

  2. Kitty,
    Once I figure out how to make something, I'm always such a harsh critic, but this really was good chicken.


Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!