Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, June 11, 2010

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chops with Spicy Salt

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 2

I'm reaching back to August 2008 for this one. Actually, I don't know why I haven't made this dish since! It's so simple and so good. This recipe really deserves better photographs, but I think even taken with my old point-and-shoot, the pork chops look pretty yummy. And sometimes, I just feel like being contrary. As if I want to prove that good recipes don't need a fancy camera.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chops with Spicy Salt is a staple at Hong Kong cafes. Serve it without the minced jalapenos and garlic and it's a staple at Taiwanese restaurants too. I didn't go off of any recipes, but used what I like in typical Chinese marinades. For the spicy salt, instead of adding MSG to the salt like some restaurants do, I did a mixture of minced garlic and jalapenos with just a dash of salt.

I cut the pork chops into two-bite-sized pieces, roughly about 2-inches. Marinated them with soy sauce, rice wine, and a bit of Chinese 5-spice powder. Then coated them in a mixture of flour and corn starch, and deep-fried them until crispy. And finally, I tossed the pork chop pieces with minced jalapenos and garlic. The result was layers of flavor and texture. Delicious.

Was it like what I ate in Chinese restaurants? Even better! And it only took me half an hour from start to finish.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 1

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chops with Spicy Salt

For 2 servings as a meal, or 4 servings as a side, you'll need:
2 or 3 pork chops, about 3/4 to 1 lb's worth, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1 tblsp soy sauce
1 tsp Chinese hsiao xing rice wine
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn starch
Oil for deep-frying
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 jalapeno, finely minced
2 cherry tomatoes, finely diced

Cut pork chops into 2-inch-sized pieces. Marinate with 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tblsp soy sauce, 1 tsp rice wine, 1 tsp sugar, and 1/2 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder. Set aside.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 3

If you're not short on time, let the meat marinate for 15 minutes or so.

Then, heat your oil for deep-frying. I prefer to fry on medium-high heat, but your stove may vary.

Mince 3 cloves of garlic, 1 jalapeno, and 2 cherry tomatoes or a red jalapeno. Set aside.

In a shallow bowl, mix 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup cornstarch.

Dredge the pork chop pieces into the flour/cornstarch mixture. You might need to do two coats and shake off excess flour.

Deep fry until golden. Drain the crispy pork chop pieces and set aside when done.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 4

In another pan or wok, add a bit of oil and toss in the minced garlic and jalapenos with just a dash of salt. I added in a few cherry tomatoes for color, but that's not essential to the dish.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 5

When the garlic has softened, add the fried pork chop pieces and toss until the spicy salt mixture has evenly mixed.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 6

Plate and serve.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 7

Mmm. Love the bits of garlic and jalapeno in each bite.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 8

Serve with rice if you wish. Or eat as a snack.

Chinese Deep-Fried Pork Chop 9

Enjoy!

Similar recipes:
Chicken Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)
Fried Onion Strings
Taiwanese Popcorn Chicken
Taiwanese Popcorn Tofu

*****
1 year ago today, Le Bistro Montage - Portland - Oregon.
2 years ago today, San Gabriel Superstore - San Gabriel.
3 years ago today, Mangoes with Sticky Rice.

9 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got my pork and jalapenos... going to make your recipe very soon! (Trader Joe's gluten-free flour mix does a pretty good stand-in job)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NTB,
    I hope you try it!

    Nikki,
    Yay! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this tonight but used small red chilies instead of jalapeƱos. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often crave this dish because it's my absolute favorite when we dine at our favorite chinese restaurant. My sister has told me that she wants to make this dish at home but didn't know how. When I came across this recipe I knew I had to give it a go. I made this dish tonight. It was very good although not as spicy as I wish. Wanted to use Thai chillies but only had jalepenos. But it was absolutely delicious. Will definitely make again. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Virgielyn,
    Glad you liked the recipe. By all means, use Thai chilies if you can stand the heat. That's easy enough to sub out for the jalapenos. I used jalapenos because that's how they make it at the Hong Kong cafes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marinate with rice vinegar or rice wine. Yr top write up says rice vinegar but recipeople stated rice wine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adeline,
    Should be rice wine. Thanks for catching that! I'll edit the post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!