Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, March 26, 2010

Ask Wandering Chopsticks 7

Ask Wandering Chopsticks 7


Not much going on the blog this month. Was busy with my parents in town. Then got the sniffles so visits to snuggle with my new niece have been curtailed for the time being. :(

Isn't she darling?

I've been sporadically cooking to feed my brother and his wife so look forward to lots of recipes once I get around to sorting through the photos and posting them.

Although, my brother did make a pretty good corned elk and cabbage on St. Patrick's day. :) Elk from my daddy. Based on an Alton Brown recipe. What is it with guys and their man-crushes on Alton Brown?


Corned Elk and Cabbage


Still slogging through, but February 2009 posts are now all caught up for those of you who don't want to miss a thing.

My friend Yeah Manh is currently in Louisiana and road-tripping back to L.A. He's offering a photo session in exchange for a meal if anyone lives along the route he's taking and wants to meet up with him.

What's up with you? Got a recipe question? Restaurant question? Just want to say, "Hi?" Did you miss Ask Wandering Chopsticks 1? Or click on the "Ask Wandering Chopsticks" tag below for previous editions. Otherwise, what's on your mind? You have until 11:59 p.m. Sunday, March 28.

*****
1 year ago today, my cousins' clothing line, introducing MidnightMare Apparel.
2 years ago today, banh tet chuoi (Vietnamese sticky rice cakes with bananas).
3 years ago today, how to start quilting: choosing a design and buying supplies.

17 comments:

  1. I have good news for you! I will officially be traveling to SGV this upcoming weekend with some friends. Any ideas how I should plan my attack in the valley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh I don't know which one to pick. What do you recommend? I hope to spend half of my day there so I can fit in at least 2 places to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking something that I can't get here in OC. xP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana,
    Unless you have something specific in mind, either dumplings or a Hong Kong cafe are two things you can't get in OC. Click on the "dumplings" or "Hong Kongese" labels in the category cloud.

    Or just go through my list of restaurants in Alhambra or San Gabriel and that should about cover your options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi WC, I thought of you today: just got back from seeing some cowboys. French ones... (Uh, seriously).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana,
    Let me know which ones you decide!

    Tammy,
    Haha. Seriously?! Details lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would just like to share that I had some delicious banh beo today. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Andi,
    Which restaurant did you go to? One of the ones I recommended?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'd just like to say your blog is still my most favourite food blog of all. Last week I made daeji bulgogi and naan bread based on your recipes. Daeji bulgogi was amazingly good but somehow my naan bread turned out to be extremely hard even though i tried to max out the temperature in the oven .It did rise a little bit but then just went completely flat.D'oh! any idea why this wouldn't work? Do you think it is because i didn't cook it on a pizza stone? Thanks WC :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I love Alton Brown's corned beef recipe! I can't find corned beef around where I live except a few deli slices or the canned stuff, so I usually use his recipe and brine a brisket myself for a couple of weeks. Sooo tasty. :)


    Haha also, darn! I keep looking forward to the next Ask WC, but then I end up not having questions when they come around. Next time, maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Alton Brown. I used to watch his shows as a kid :). He was funny and very informative, but now...I don't see him as often. He seems to be rarely on and the new ones just do not seem to be as interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hedgehog,
    I haven't made naan since that one time! :P Are you handling the dough too much? That would make it hard. Otherwise, I have no idea.

    Dragonkiri,
    Actually, my brother only brined it for less than a day. It was a little bland, but still tasty. I can only imagine it'd be really good when done properly.

    Well, think of something! You still have the rest of the day. :)

    ETE,
    I think it's the science angle that makes guys like Alton? Makes it seem like they're doing more than just cooking. I don't have cable so I don't know any of the newbies. Probably a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I visited my parents in OC and my mom brought some home. I'm not sure where she got it but it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think my comment somehow didn't come up. There were a lot of cool action shots, it was tough to choose. I did pick one with one of the guys smiling, kind of with you in mind. Really good riders, strong silent types (like that's a surprise). They tipped their hats to me. Sigh. It was...cinematic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andi,
    Ah, I thought you hit up one of the restaurants in the SGV.

    Tammy,
    Blogger's been weirdly deleting random comments. :( I saw your post. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete